Ringwood IPA's (commercially available)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmo88

Reaction score
I was reading an article, http://2beerguys.blogspot.com/2007/09/ringwood-like-it-or-leave-it.html and was intrigued by it. Does anyone know of a commercially available (I'm in seattle) ringwood ipa? I'm getting bored with Chico yeast and am getting into English strains for American styles. On the wyeast website they suggest ringwood one of the best yeasts for ipa's.

Need to try one.

The article seemed to mention a few. Pretty sure Red Hook uses Ringwood, so look up their Longhammer IPA. I guess Magic Hat uses it too. I don't get much of their beer here, but I'm sure they have an IPA.

Thanks for posting, it is definitely a good read.

Maybe check on the of the breweries cited in the article? Shipyard has a Fuggles IPA.

Hah, thanks. I can't get, or find at least, any of the breweries mentioned.

As for Redhook, though they mention diacetyl as a trait, I was under the impression that WLP041 Pacific ale was their strain, not ringwood.

I have never been a fan of super hoppy American style IPA's, but I am starting to appreciate a good English IPA.

Two breweries near me that make excellent ringwood IPA's are Middle Ages in Syracuse and Cooperstown brewing co. There is no chance you will find them out west, which is a shame, because they are a welcome departure from the citrusy ipa in the average bar.

I know most people dislike ringwood, but I love the stuff - if fermented properly. ;)

So I'm assuming Magic Hat still uses Ringwood? This thread inspired me to pick up their IPA on the way home tonight. It has a nice assertive hoppiness, and a nice frutiness not present in some West Coast hop blasters. This is my first experience with their IPA, and I'm pleasantly surprised. I've always seen their beers as over marketed. #9 IMO is just plain horrible.

Yeah I've been doing a series of Yorkshire WLP037 beers and will be doing American citrusy IPA's with it. The 037 should be somewhat similar to ringwood, they're both yorkshire yeasts. I love big American hops, but I want more from my yeast. I'll keep looking for ringwood beers in the PNW.

I believe Arcadia Brewing does most of their beers with Ringwood. I'm certain these are brewed in Michigan, but I don't know if they make it out to the PNW.

Back