What would it be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oberonsd73

Reaction score
Hey there,

Since I dont have all the equipment, but do have enough for a minimash, I've decided to try an all-grain as a small batch (2.5 gallon).

I came up with... something, but not sure really how to categorize it, and am trying to come up with a good yeast for it as well (really havent decided the complete desired result)

So here are the grains... with my idea for a yeast. Any suggestions, comments, changes are welcome.

1 lb extra dry extract (for more OG)
2.75# Munich
1# Flaked Wheat
.25# Biscuit Malt
.15 Chocolate malt
1 oz Hallertau (60 mins)
Wyeast European Ale

thx!:tank:

This recipe would give you a fairly dark beer SRM ~17 @1.054 OG and 34 IBUs, which puts you into the "Slightly Hoppy" catagory. Ignore the dot...that's a different beer.

8366d1225904648-bms-outer-limits-ipa-outerlimits_chart.jpg

As far as what it is...? Couldn't really say. Although it looks fairly well balanced.

Sounds like a fairly malty dark ale. Munich, combined with Biscuit, should make for a warm, bready malt character.

Speaking of Munich, you should know that Munich malt has a fairly low diastatic power; usually it has enough enzymes to convert itself, but little if anything left over to convert other starches into fermentable sugars. I suggest adding a pound of 2-row or other pale malt to help with that. Hopefully your mashing equipment can handle five pounds of grist.

Cheers,

Bob

I think I'll only be able to handle a lil over 4 lbs. Only have a 2 gallon vessel, which in my last mini mash was nearly overflowing w/ 4.25 of grain + water.

Then I suggest subbing one pound of Pale for a pound of Munich. It won't have that big an impact on the beer's flavor, and it will give you enough enzymatic power to convert everything.

Bob

Back