1st AG, ED Wort's Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeepmarine71

Reaction score
I think it went pretty well, I had my temps right on. I only have a 5 gallon converted cooler MLT. At the end of my boil I had only 4 gallons of wort. The my OG was 1.060 and it should have been around 1.051. I added 1 gallon of water to make it 1.051. I hope thats alright. I couldn't get any Nottingham yeast so I had to use Coopers brewers yeast. Hope the end result is BEER in week or so.

Thanks for the recipe ED:mug:.

Shad

Nice job on hitting your temps!

There is nothing wrong with missing your target OG gravity on the high side. Most people worry about missing it on the low side (e.g. getting a 1.040 wort when you wanted 1.050).

FYI...you could have added 0.7gal of water to your 4 gallons of wort to get 4.7gallons at 1.051. Its a simple calculation to correct your gravity when it comes out too high!

You had 4gal at 1.060....that means 60 gravity pts/gal.

so: 4gal x 60 pts/gal = 240 pts total in that pot of wort.

you want to bring up the volume so your wort is 51 pts/gal (1.051):

so: 240 pts = (x gal) x (51 pts/gal)

x = 4.7 gal total ...this is the volume your wort has to be for it read 1.051

What was your efficiency?

The Haus Pale Ale is bubbling away. I have it in my plastic Ale pail. A few minutes ago I hear a loud bang. I I'm wondering what was that! I checked on my Ale and it popped the lid right off, not much mess. I cleaned out the air lock and reinserted. Wow thats a first, never had that with an extract batch. Maybe I should have put it in my carboy and put a blow off hose in.

I'm not sure what my efficiency is, I have not learned how to calculate that. I do have a 21 day trial of beer smith.

Good job, what're the odds i just doughed in not but 5 minutes ago on the Haus Pale Ale...

Promash says that at 75% efficiency, which is what i usually get with single infusion, i'd get 1.051. So we can assume you have a 75% post boil efficiency, or at least somewhere in that area.

Buying or obtaining a copy of a brewing program is very beneficial.

Great job on the temps that usually the first thing an AG'er has to be accurate with. I've always gone on the high side and cooled down to the correct temp then dough in, seems to work real well...

Let me know how yours turns out, and i'll let you know about mine.

Tis the season for peoples' first AG and Ed's Haus Ale. I'll be doing both tomorrow :D

(I also couldn't get Nottingham, so I think I have Montrachet)

Buying or obtaining a copy of a brewing program is very beneficial.

I'm all for brewing software to make your brew day less stressful, but there is something to be said for learning the math behind the brewing process too....

efficiency would be calculated by taking the total gravity points you got (240 pts in jeepmarine's case) and dividing it by the how many gravity points if you had perfect (100%) efficiency and multiplying by 100. For this, you need to the the "theoretical max points" for your grains. You can find tables on them on the internets...

For Edworts 5 gallon batch:
8lbs 2-row @36pts/lb = 288pts
2lbs Vienna @ 35pts/lb = 70pts
0.5lb of Crystal 10L @ 34 pts/lb = 17pts

total 375pts. (288+70+17)...in other words, if had a perfect mash and sparge where you converted 100% of starches to sugars and then rinsed the grain bed of that sugar perfecting you would have 375pts.

so for jeepmarine: 240/375*100 = 64% efficiency

Tis the season for peoples' first AG and Ed's Haus Ale. I'll be doing both tomorrow :D

(I also couldn't get Nottingham, so I think I have Montrachet)

WHOA. Montrachet is a wine yeast, and is going to give you something very different. You might want to double check, and make sure you're using an ale yeast.

I'm all for brewing software to make your brew day less stressful, but there is something to be said for learning the math behind the brewing process too....

efficiency would be calculated by taking the total gravity points you got (240 pts in jeepmarine's case) and dividing it by the how many gravity points if you had perfect (100%) efficiency and multiplying by 100. For this, you need to the the "theoretical max points" for your grains. You can find tables on them on the internets...

For Edworts 5 gallon batch:
8lbs 2-row @36pts/lb = 288pts
2lbs Vienna @ 35pts/lb = 70pts
0.5lb of Crystal 10L @ 34 pts/lb = 17pts

total 375pts. (288+70+17)...in other words, if had a perfect mash and sparge where you converted 100% of starches to sugars and then rinsed the grain bed of that sugar perfecting you would have 375pts.

so for jeepmarine: 240/375*100 = 64% efficiency

oh of course, yes the math is a very good thing to learn, it helps in other areas of math too. Just like the science behind beer applies in all kinds of situations. It's just i'm too lazy to actually do the math, if i set it at 75% and hit the gravity and the volume i'm a happy camper....

i actually have an excel spreadsheet for all that math too, so that further shows how lazy i am, and to top it off i've used it once, lol...

WHOA. Montrachet is a wine yeast, and is going to give you something very different. You might want to double check, and make sure you're using an ale yeast.

Well this is what happens when I try to remember it at work... it's actually Windsor ale yeast. I think. God, I can't even remember it from the fridge to my laptop.

Back