ECY19 Brettanomyces Custersianus

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcnewcp

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck using brett cust solo yet? I just got my hands on a bottle of this and was wondering what others have done so far. I'll probably go on the hoppy, pale side and let that fruitiness shine.

Haven't tried it but sounds interesting. You sound like you have the right idea.. just remember to wash it and use it again! I gotta pick some up if it goes on sale

Yea, I just luckily saw that it went on sale at love2brew a couple days ago, picked up one along with a Bug County. I'll post whatever recipe I decide to go with and results.

I had good success with it. I made a Citra PA and it was very nice. Since my wife became pregnant and is not able to drink with me, the keg has taken a little longer to drink. As some of the hop character has faded, the yeast character has really changed over time and has made it better IMO.

I was very happy with it in a dry stout hopped with Northdown.
It brought out all sorts of flavours that would otherwise not have been there: Christmas cake,roasted nuts,ripe pineapple/apricot/plum/peach

Sounds pretty nice! Anyone happen to have any slants of it or extra vials? I could trade for a unique Brett strain I'm picking up in Sweden.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I brewed a BPA with 100% Brett Cust at the end of December that came out awesome. I bottle conditioned it so it may have some viable dregs at the bottom of the bottles

I brewed a BPA with 100% Brett Cust at the end of December that came out awesome. I bottle conditioned it so it may have some viable dregs at the bottom of the bottles

If you'd be willing to do a simple swap for a couple bottles PM me. I have lots of different stuff I could send in return: dregs from ECY Bug County from 2013, Yeast Bay Brett Saison or Wallonian Farmhouse, or just some local beers like Surly.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I brewed an American Wheat with this strain. It does produce all of the melon/fruit characters as described on ECY's site. I did not have it around long enough to develop any tartness but it did have a very low sulfur aroma in the beer. One other thing - this yeast is not flocculant, not even in a little. My keezer is set at 32F and any beer I have ever let sit in there for a month has come out crystal clear with gelatin. I think it ate the gelatin :(

I brewed an American Wheat with this strain. It does produce all of the melon/fruit characters as described on ECY's site. I did not have it around long enough to develop any tartness but it did have a very low sulfur aroma in the beer. One other thing - this yeast is not flocculant, not even in a little. My keezer is set at 32F and any beer I have ever let sit in there for a month has come out crystal clear with gelatin. I think it ate the gelatin :(

I am sorry to hear that your beer isn't clearing as you'd hoped, but that last line seriously amused me. Brettanomyces custersianus laughs at your attempts to clarify your beer, puny mortal!

Mine is clear as can be. No gelatin, at room temp. This is a photo two months after bottling.

I also got a hind of acidity that has developed over time as well. Sorry to hear your results seemed to be the opposite

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406767794.332198.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back