Split Chest Freezer - beer/food?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cbird01

Reaction score
I would like to know if I can divide a large chest freezer into food storage/beer dispensing. Was thinking rigid foam in the middle with muffin fan and two temp controllers?

Chest freezers cool by having every wall of the thing get cold. If you divided it with a partition, both sides are going to get cold when it kicks on.

You would probably have to partition it and put a heat source on the side you wanted to be warmer.

All in all, it sounds pretty energy inefficient, though. With the cost of the temp controller and work to partition it, you might be better off just buying a mini fridge off craigslist and using that for the food.

Ahh, makes sense. Didn't think of that. You mean use the minifridge for serving...can't keep much frozen food in a mini-fridge :p

Actually, I thought you meant you were trying to use the freezer for two things:
- keeping food cold (but not frozen)
- holding fermenters (not serving beer)

But, now that I understand what you are actually doing, sure. Use a mini fridge for holding cold beer and the freezer for freezing food.

This is what I did. I have 1 freezer for keeping things frozen and the other freezer keeps things cold by recirculating air between the two....

0226121529.jpg

0228121733.jpg

So what is the advantage of having them tied together, when you already have 2 freezers that could run independently?

Back