Where to get kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWAleDad

Reaction score
I want to find used kegs (in an ethical manner) and i'm having a hard time finding kegs to turn into HLT and Boil Kettle. I was wondering if anyone could provide tips on where they have found their kegs for conversion.

Most of the local breweries I call say that they reuse or repair their kegs. the bars give them back to the distributor and i can not get a hold of the anyone at a distributor.

I'm kinda at a loss about how to find kegs.

Call some breweries in your area and find out where they send their decommissioned kegs. Typically it's a recycle service. Then contact the recycle place and find out about buying kegs from them to use. I happened to find a person that's close enough to me (he's in Chelmsford, MA) that gets kegs from such a recycle service. They are 100% legal since the recycle place gets the release from the breweries, and the person I get them from has paperwork to prove they are purchased legally. I picked up a keg from the person not that long ago that I'll be converting into my new boil keggle. I've already polished it up, so all I need to do now is cut the top, put some holes in it, and get two TC ferrules welded in place. :rockin:

If you want, I can PM you the contact info for the guy out in my area that gets kegs. Not sure what shipping would be for you, but it might be something to consider. I know he gets different amounts for the kegs, depending on the condition of them. I paid $80 for one that had very little scratches, and one a couple of minor dings in the rings. I know he had some really ugly kegs that he was selling very cheap. I wouldn't even think about using those though (really, really rough/beat to hell).

Yes, Please! If I come up empty here I can use him as Plan B. I want good quality kegs to use. I have found some on CL in my area but each poster has a hard time proving they got the kegs ethically or they are beat to hell and would not work for brew equipment.

What is your process for polishing the kegs?

I just sent him an email to make sure it's ok and see if he knows of anyplace in your area that might be a good source for you. Figured he might be able to locate a recycle center/service that gets kegs out there that you could buy from (as a plan A)...

For the polishing method, I do a modified version of what Bobby_M posted up. I got the Gator finishing pads, and backing pad, for my 4.5" right angel grinder. On my first one I started with the course and then used the medium pad. I couldn't locate the fine pads at that time. I then went to the polishing pads with different compound sticks. Took me about 8 hours to get the keggle to where I was ok with it. The one I'm going to convert next (selling my first one) I only needed to use the fine pads, and then only one package of them. I then started polishing it up starting with the ebony compound and going through different ones until it had a nice shine/polish to it. I got the compound sticks from Amazon. Just get ones that are made for working on stainless steel and you'll be fine. Plan on using a couple of pads (or more) per compound to get the polish there. I would also get ear plugs (good ones) and a breather mask (or several of them). Safety glasses are a good idea if you don't wear glasses already (and maybe even then). If you have access to an actual polisher, I would use that as a final stage to put a real high gloss on it. If you have a variable speed grinder, that would be great too. That way you can run it at a lower speed one last time to get anything left behind. You can also get buffing wheels, provided the hole works with your grinder. I have a few of those, but I lost the backing disc for the grinder I've been using. I'm hesitant to use my other grinder for this, since I don't want to gunk it all up. If I cannot locate the disc soon, I might anyway.

Thanks for reaching out the gentlemen, i hope he knows of someone over here. do you have a pic of the polished keggle?

This is the one I've already converted...
Current_Keggle_outside.jpg

The keggle to be...
New_Polished_keg.jpg

BTW, Seven, it cost me less to make my keggle, fully polished, with ALL the fittings than the brewmagic one costs (that you linked to)...

Yep, just giving him some more options... :mug:

Those sure are purdy :rockin:

thanks for the links guys, if i can't find some decent local kegs I might purchase from a vendor.

I'm i no rush to purchase as my current setup works. So i would prefer to be patient and find an appropriate and cost effective option.

Those sure are purdy :rockin:

thanks for the links guys, if i can't find some decent local kegs I might purchase from a vendor.

I'm i no rush to purchase as my current setup works. So i would prefer to be patient and find an appropriate and cost effective option.

Yeah, kegs or keggles bought retail are not cheap. I have an awesome craigslist app for android that constantly monitors and alerts me when someone local is selling a keg. Even in Chicago (large population) I had to wait several months, but I scored two on Friday, just minutes after the guy posted.

You might consider contacting user rtrevino. He's the one that started this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/interested-keggles-made-new-kegs-324215/

That post was about supplying new kegs, but there was another I couldn't find where he says he's selling used kegs. I have contacted him via email before and he ships kegs for about $35. He will do custom welds, or just drill holes for you. I got a quote under $100 + shipping for a used keg with four custom holes drilled, of course it was more with custom welds. If he doesn't respond to PM or you cannot find his email PM me I'll give it to you.

Thanks! Looks like I have some good options. I'm going to call around this week in my area and try to find the recycling service that takes old kegs. But if that does not work out I will definitely follow up with the contacts here.

Back