Deal on conicals ?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try this link, or search for by seller brew-4-less.

This guys sells a lot on ebay, and I've seen mostly favorable reviews on other forums for his conicals and brew kettle. Last go around he had around 85 of these on ebay, and they were going for around $175 +shipping. Looks like he got another batch and prolly upped the price a bit.

Best I can tell is this is an exact knock off of the B3 design. It's a lot cheaper though. I don't care for the thermometer port. Most conicals will be digitally temp controlled, making that hole pretty useless and just another place to harbor the nasties. Also note it does not include a racking arm, and the fittings aren't clover like the B3 model. All in all, this is an entry conical at an entry price. It's probably a good way to save some cash, but personally I'd pony up the $200 extra to go the B3 route to get the racking arm, clover fittings, and no thermometer option.

Am I to assume no one here pulled the trigger on one of these? I noticed that since he post was up the number of available units dropped by about 20....

Should be no problem to add the racking arm. It's weldless and easy to install with a well-placed, clean hole about 6" from the bottom of the fermenter.

He doesn't have anymore listed on Ebay, but sounded like an alright deal, i would like to see a 14 gallon though.

One thing that I am not sure about though is this:
not to mention you will never have to buy yeast again. I am using the same yeast now for 6 years.

Anybody ever really keep their yeast for 6 years?

Cheers

wop31 said:
Anybody ever really keep their yeast for 6 years?
Cheers

Most people I know who brew on cultivated yeasts swap them out after about 15 or 20 brews - there's no guarantee that a mutation hasn't started to change the yeast at that point.

However, SOMETHING will survive over the course of 6 years, and even if it's different, it'll definitely brew - unless you get an infection somewhere along the way, which seems entirely possible.

kvh.

Incidentally, I e-mailed this eBay seller, asking if indeed he still had 77 of these left... He says he does, and will put another batch of them up for sale in January -

Sucks, because I was looking to buy one now, but 2 months is worth the $300 in savings. I intend to fit my own rotating racking arm on it... I can't use a larger conical due to very restrictive space constraints.

Thought if anyone else was interested, they might like to know.

kvh.

Back