Boston DIY Brewers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkloos

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Are any of you in the Boston or north Shore area? I'm looking for like-minded DIY beer brewers in the area to compare notes....

Thanks,

Bryan

Revere here. Still a bit of a noob, but looking to expand into all grain. It would be nice to have other North Shore people to compare notes with.

Very nice.

I'm in Reading. I've ben brewing for a while now, but have been on hold for about a year as I've been finishing up my new brew system. I'm looking forward to the warming weather and the resumption of brewing...

Are any of you in local clubs?

Bryan

We should do a group grain buy this spring.

North Country Malt Group has/had pretty cheap shipping if purchased by the palate.

Chris

brighton here!
i would love to brew with anyone who has an all grain setup as im still doing extract.

i know there are a few local clubs (i have yet to go to any meets though). to my knowledge there is the Boston Wort Processors which meet in Somerville.

Screw99: In Revere also, huh? Do you brew extract? all-grain? Where do you shop? I use Beer & Wine Hobby in Woburn.

Bryan: I'm not in a local club, but would love to gain some knowledge from local people. Have you finished the brew system? I've seen the pics in another thread... Nice work!

Chris: A group grain buy sounds like a good idea. I'm sure we could get enough people here to go for it. Still brewing extract, but gathering my equipment to brew all-grain.

I'm in the final stages of testing the rig. I should be up and running this spring (if not sooner) for regular brew sessions. Still a few kinks to iron out.

I'm most certainly in for a group purchase this Spring. I've got a lot of brewing on the schedule.

I wonder how many other home-brewers there are in the area???

Hey all,

I'm in Sudbury and brew both extract and all grain. I'd love to meet some new brewers.

FYI, my homebrew club (http://www.brewbeer.org/) is having an open house and new brewer's night next Tuesday night (postponed from last Tues.) if anyone is interested.

We'd love to meet any of you local folks.

hi all,

Im from allston. I have been brewing about 6 years and doing all grain for a year.

We should all meet sometime at public house or American craft for a beer.

Since you are all local, does anyone have a spare grain mill they are looking to get rid of?

BJ

Metrowest out here and Wizards member myself. Plenty of the parts for my all grain setup just haven't had the time.

Melrose here! I'm all grain and been brewing for 5 years. Brewing Saturday, hopefully! I'm chilling my starter now and its taking forever. 1.26 gallon starter in the freezer.

Brian J--- where you at in Allston?

Im right over in Brighton...

Dont forget about Sunset! That is my favorite place!

North Andover here, and part of the nascent Merrimack Valley Home Brew Club.

I'm thirsty... Anyone have a homebrew they want to send my way while I wait for all this snow to melt???

Hey. I'm in West Roxbury. Not north shore but not too far away. I work in Waltham though. I'm still quite the n00b though only having brewed 2 extract batches so far. Loving it so far and am on the lookout for cheap gear to eventually go up to partial mash and all grain. Also looking at kegging in the future as I've always thought beer on tap tastes better than bottle. We'll see if that's true for homebrew too. My 2 batches are still carbing/fermenting so I can't tell yet.

Hey. I'm in West Roxbury. Not north shore but not too far away. I work in Waltham though. I'm still quite the n00b though only having brewed 2 extract batches so far. Loving it so far and am on the lookout for cheap gear to eventually go up to partial mash and all grain. Also looking at kegging in the future as I've always thought beer on tap tastes better than bottle. We'll see if that's true for homebrew too. My 2 batches are still carbing/fermenting so I can't tell yet.

Make sure to keep a daily eye on CL and the market here! Also there a ton of vendors on this site so make sure to keep your eyes out for there daily deals and vendor spotlights.

I'm on the Newton Watertown line, got a bunch of free time coming up. Will be brewing outside soon as it rains and melts the snow a bit. Couple of cut kegs for equipment, new Brew box for mashing too..
008.jpg

I'm on the Newton Watertown line, got a bunch of free time coming up. Will be brewing outside soon as it rains and melts the snow a bit. Couple of cut kegs for equipment, new Brew box for mashing too..
008.jpg

Yea on some of the damn snow melting!!!

Sounds like a nice setup. That's an awesome looking brew box. Is that a pump, plate chiller, and electric RIMS, with valves all crammed in the that little box? Also, that looks like a mix of 1/2 and 3/8 silicone tubing. If so, where did you get the 3/8 silicone tube?

BTW, I'm only about 10 mi away. Any interest in joining other homebrewers for a brew day?

Yea on some of the damn snow melting!!!

Sounds like a nice setup. That's an awesome looking brew box. Is that a pump, plate chiller, and electric RIMS, with valves all crammed in the that little box? Also, that looks like a mix of 1/2 and 3/8 silicone tubing. If so, where did you get the 3/8 silicone tube?

BTW, I'm only about 10 mi away. Any interest in joining other homebrewers for a brew day?

That box looks little in the pics but its about 24 inches long. The silicone is all 1/2 inch, the other tubing is vinyl reinforced for for the chiller supply. I'm going to give it a trial run this week to get the pid up and thinking. My brewery is in the basement so i have to cook out side hence the all in one box.
I would love to stop by on a brew day just let me know.

I'd be up for a brew day too. Let me know. I could maybe even host one if i make the step up to All Grain in the future. I'd like to see someone do it before attempting it myself. Maybe i'll screw up the first time less that way. SOunds like there's a few people in the area. Could be fun for sure.

Here in Roslindale! Been brewing for six years, all grain set up. Would love to get in a club and swap brew. Can't wait for good weather to bring the rig out.

Hey-
I'm in Medford. Live in a small apartment and mostly do small 1-2 gallon AG batches. I just recently DIYed a temperature controller for my fermentation

Still waiting for snow to melt, and lines to thaw... some progress over the past two days, but I still have 8 foot banks in the driveway and up on the house.

Once I get my rig up and running I would be happy to have you guys over for a group session. Multiple minds are better than one. I probably wont be brewing (at least on a weekend) until April, when the wife puts me in lockdown with the baby coming in late April. That said, I'll be close to home (and brewing) for much of April... In the interim, I hope to be at the ski slopes as much as possible between then and now.

Also, if anyone needs and welding, I managed to teach myself a few things while building up my rig. Satitary, nope, but halfway decent looking tig welds on stainless. Mild steel stand work as well. Will trade work for cost of materials and a homebrew.

bkloos said:
Still waiting for snow to melt, and lines to thaw... some progress over the past two days, but I still have 8 foot banks in the driveway and up on the house.

Once I get my rig up and running I would be happy to have you guys over for a group session. Multiple minds are better than one. I probably wont be brewing (at least on a weekend) until April, when the wife puts me in lockdown with the baby coming in late April. That said, I'll be close to home (and brewing) for much of April... In the interim, I hope to be at the ski slopes as much as possible between then and now.

Also, if anyone needs and welding, I managed to teach myself a few things while building up my rig. Satitary, nope, but halfway decent looking tig welds on stainless. Mild steel stand work as well. Will trade work for cost of materials and a homebrew.

I may take you up on that!

Here in Roslindale! Been brewing for six years, all grain set up. Would love to get in a club and swap brew. Can't wait for good weather to bring the rig out.

Why don't you check out one of the local clubs and meet some fellow brewers! There are several clubs around here.

My club, the Wizards meets once a month in Shrewsbury and we always like to have interested homebrewers come check us out. There's the Boston Wort Processors a little closer to you. Also, there is a club on the south shore and and one starting up in the Lowell area.

I'm in Boston and just ran across this thread. I've been thinking of starting up a brew share mailing list for local brewers. For example, I have several yeast cultures that I'd be happy to share but could use a few more bottles. It'd also be cool to buy full bags of grain at a discount and split them up. Let me know if anyone would be interested.

really now? I am trying to make my bicycle powered grainmill a permanent framework, fewer bolts. how about starting up an allgrain batch aboilin', and then zapping some welds on a corona franken-schwinn when it warms up?

p.s. what kind of wleding rig do you have? (he asked jealously)

That box looks little in the pics but its about 24 inches long. The silicone is all 1/2 inch, the other tubing is vinyl reinforced for for the chiller supply. I'm going to give it a trial run this week to get the pid up and thinking. My brewery is in the basement so i have to cook out side hence the all in one box.
I would love to stop by on a brew day just let me know.

Wow, if that's all 1/2" silicone the box is alot bigger than it looks in the pic.

1+ on the portability. While having a built-in brewery would be nice. Having a portable one is alot of fun too. Here's to brewing with friends!

I'm in Boston and just ran across this thread. I've been thinking of starting up a brew share mailing list for local brewers. For example, I have several yeast cultures that I'd be happy to share but could use a few more bottles. It'd also be cool to buy full bags of grain at a discount and split them up. Let me know if anyone would be interested.

Those all sound like good ideas. BTW, I have more bottles than I need if you're interested on trading for something. PM me if you want some.

really now? I am trying to make my bicycle powered grainmill a permanent framework, fewer bolts. how about starting up an allgrain batch aboilin', and then zapping some welds on a corona franken-schwinn when it warms up?

p.s. what kind of wleding rig do you have? (he asked jealously)

HA, sounds like a plan. I'm all about the schwinn-o-mill...

I'm using a Miller Maxstar 150 STL. It was all I could afford used at the time, but seems to do a decent enough job for my needs. Going forward, I would love to get a unit with HF start, as the lift-arc can be a bit of a pain in the arse... Could also use a full size bottle of Argon, and another for back-gassing, and well, maybe a foot switch. Someday....

Hey everyone. Did anything come of the group grain buy idea? I'm a homebrewer in Stoneham and would love to get to know some other local brewers.

Not as of yet, at least to my knowledge.
I should be starting to brew in another month or so, once things warm up a bit.

Is anyone interested in organizing a group buy? I would offer, but the plate is quite full with the baby due at the end of April.

Thoughts?

Back