Avanti 5.0 Cu. Ft. Compact Refrigerators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just got an email with this in it.
I'm not in the market myself, but looks like it's a good price.
Any good?

Avanti 5.0 Cu. Ft. Compact Refrigerators

$166 w/ free shipping

Specifications

Net Capacity 5.0 Cu. Ft.
Color Black Cabinet with Platinum Finish Door
Unit Dimensions 33.25" H x 21.25" W x 21.75" D
Carton Dimensions 35 " H x 22.75" W x 23" D
Unit Weight 66 Lbs.
Shipping Weight 73 Lbs.
Defrost System Auto
Power 110 V / 60 Hz
Reversible Door Yes

Opinions on this fridge? I'm in the market for my first mini for either a fermentation chamber and/or kegerator. Looks like this would work well for either, eh?

Based on the picture it looks like my GE 4.5 without the freezer compartment. If you take off the door rack and the light there should be room for two cornies up front with the CO2 on the hump in the back.

I am waiting to see if I can get a kegerator of CL, I tried to get one yesterday but it got taken (I responded within 30min of the ad being posted) so if the first guy falls through I get it, if that doesn't work then I'm thinking about this one.

I ordered one ...will post up some info when it comes in and I get started. :)

Sweet. Even if you just get it and try and see if two cornies will fit in it, that would be a big help. I'm currently in the market for something like that myself- I'll pester you about it in a few days :D

EDIT: Thermostat might be a little bit in the way but they can generally be relocated. Dimensions of a corny are 23" height and 9" diameter which fits the "carton" dimensions of this thing- as someone said before the door can been dismantled

EDIT X2: The link in the first post wasn't working for me so I trimmed it, here it is http://www.buy.com/prod/5-0-cf-refrigerator-black/q/loc/66357/216745862.html

My ball locks are like 25" or did I measure wrong?
I'm sure you measured just fine, if you can pull off brewing I imagine you can use a measuring tape :mug:

IIRC Pin locks are shorter and wider, Ball locks are taller and a little skinner (like 8.5" or something)

I dont have numbers handy, so I just went with this from micromatic, they do not specify which type it is.
Kegs-new.jpg

So it looks like there should be plenty of room for at least a pair of Cornies in there. I'll verify internal measurements when it arrives sometime next week.

My fridge came in last week ...was to my door in 2 days. :)

I only had time to take a quick look. A 5 gallon carboy will fit with only minor modification to the door panel. In fact, if you just sit it on the lip of the door, you don't have to do anything. A 6.5 gallon will need to have the door panel removed completely, but looks as if it should fit. I don't have any cornies right now, but it appears 2 will fit as long as you relocate the thermostat/light which also looks easy to do. I'll try to grab some decent pics and real internal measurements at lunch time.

Thanks Frank! In the real internal measurements, could you grab the real measurement of the base where the crisper sits? (From the front to the compressor hump.) I might end up ordering one of these!

The fridge is 18" wide inside. It is 11.5" deep from the front edge (where the door seals) to the beginning of the hump on the bottom. The hump itself is another 6" deep. Height inside is 29". The moldings in the door (shelves, pop holders, etc.) stick inward about 3.25' past the seal on the door ...if that makes any sense. :)

No pics yet, camera is down.

Next question for ya... How easy is removing the plastic top? Or any idea where lines are in the top? I'll likely be buying one in the next few days.... I just sold my 3rd kegerator today, onto bigger and better (or smaller and homemade in this case) things!

When I get mine I'll probably do a cornstarch test or call Avanti to see if I can get an idea where the lines are... or I'll be lazy and stick the shanks through the door...

I think the plastic top would be pretty easy to remove. There are only 3 screws along the back and the front corners pull up rather easy ...but there is some adhesive holding it on in the middle.

I don't believe there are any lines up top. There is a plate (for lack of a better term) that is connected to the back wall of the fridge that clearly has cooling lines running thru it. I have a pic of the "plate", but I can get it off my damn camera. :)

haha, alright... sorry for all the questions, just wanna know if this is the next Sanyo or not ;) I want to get a build going, but I should also figure out some beer to get in there too

Based on that graphic that was posted on the first page, two corneys should fit snugly, but you'll need to relocate the light/thermostat. A 5 pound CO2 tank should fit on the hump. The description on kegworks (random site I chose) says a 5# bottle is only 5.25" in diameter.

If the cost is up to $181, why not just buy a frigidaire 4.4 mini fridge to convert? $179 and many detailed posts on HBT on how to convert it to a kegerator.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_326299-47224-LFPH44M4LM_0_?productId=3256590&Ntt=mini+refrigerator&Ntk=i_products&Ns=p_product_price|1&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntk=i_products$rpp=15$Ntt=mini%20refrigerator$Ns=p_product_price|1$identifier=

.6 more cubic feet for $3 also At Lowes I will pay tax.
About $193 for me to buy it at lowes. I am going back and forth on it. Maybe i should check my lowes are display/damaged/returned models as well.

If the cost is up to $181, why not just buy a frigidaire 4.4 mini fridge to convert? $179 and many detailed posts on HBT on how to convert it to a kegerator.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_326299-47224-LFPH44M4LM_0_?productId=3256590&Ntt=mini+refrigerator&Ntk=i_products&Ns=p_product_price|1&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntk=i_products$rpp=15$Ntt=mini%20refrigerator$Ns=p_product_price|1$identifier=

Hey man, just cause everyone else is doing it, doesn't mean we have to... didn't you catch that piece of wisdom from a (former) forum know it all?

In case you missed it: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/just-observation-194404/

:mug: Just playing... but seriously, why not look for bigger and better??...

I emailed Avanti several times yesterday and there is in fact a condenser coil running along the top somewhere. The cornstarch trick should be able to find where it is located. There is plenty of space inside for 2 kegs and the co2 tank.

Can someone explain the cornstarch trick?

I just Bought one of these, but decided to call the manufacturer before drilling a hole in the top. I talked to some B*#!# who immediately said no you cant drill a hole in the top. I asked her if she has seen the schematics for it. She only said it had been asked before and the answer is no! She snickered too, like I was an idiot for asking.

Anyways, It would be nice to know from anyone with real world experience if they hit a coil while drilling on top. Need to know before I will even attempt it.

Can someone explain the cornstarch trick?

I just Bought one of these, but decided to call the manufacturer before drilling a hole in the top. I talked to some B*#!# who immediately said no you cant drill a hole in the top. I asked her if she has seen the schematics for it. She only said it had been asked before and the answer is no! She snickered too, like I was an idiot for asking.

Anyways, It would be nice to know from anyone with real world experience if they hit a coil while drilling on top. Need to know before I will even attempt it.

Use google for a YouTube video link. I'd find one for you but I'm on my iPod...

Mix cornstarch with some vodka make a slurry with it. Spread it on top of your refrigerator, it should be put on metal so if there is a plastic top you should remove it first, then plug in your fridge. Where the coils are is where it will get hot and that is where the cornstarch slurry will dry. This is where you shouldn't drill.

This Fridge will work just fine. I carefully took it out of the box and fired it up. Remove the top to find the injected foam layer that did not heat up anywhere. Cant do the starch method, so I carefully dissected a 2 inch hole through the center of the foam and found no coolant lines. I test fit 2 corni kegs and the 5lb Co2 bottle and they fit fine without removing the door shelves. I will have to move the thermostat up about 3 inches, but that will be no problem at all. I cant post pictures, because I just joined and have to post 23 more replies. Now, I will keep my fingers crossed that this fridge lasts.

So when you go through the foam you just get down to the interior plastic?

Doesn't look like you'll bust anything moving the thermostat, right?

If you have the photos hosted elsewhere, go ahead and post them- then one of us can quote you and they'll show up!

Where exactly did you do this 2 inch hole? Is it dead center of the fridge or did you move back a little bit? You can always put new foam back into the top so you should be 100% sure before drilling anything.

The hole for the tower is as center as I could get it and yes you the hit interior plastic after drilling through the foam. I decided to mount my CO2 tank on the back because I did not like the idea of having to pull out a keg to fool with the CO2. I could not see my gauges with 2 kegs in place and the CO2 tank on the back shelf. Drilled a hole in the floor of the back shelf for the gas lines and built a little shelf on the back. My inspection did not reveal any coils on the entire floor of the rear shelf. Not done yet.

Have you taken the existing temperature control off yet? If not, I have some advice...

First, take out the light bulb. There is a screw behind the bulb attaching it to the side. Then carefully pry out the little white insert that acts as the temperature control indicator; there is a screw behind holding it on. Those are the only two screws for the system. It took me a while to figure out the second screw behind the insert...

I'm replacing the existing control with a Love controller that I installed in the door. I haven't finished yet, but the wiring is stupid-simple; the white lead (used for the light) and the black will be used for the hot on the Love controller and the blue will be connected to the NO of the controller.

I found the screws and just moved it up about 3 inches so the keg can fit in. Seems to be working fine. I may also bypass the switch for the light and connect a small CPU fan to the light wires to blow up some cold air into the tower. Has anyone tried this?

yeah, thats where I'm leaning. I'm wondering what two separate single towers would look like on it... just for a unique look. I haven't been able to turn up any images on google but I may not be using the right search terms.... But I realize that I have to drill two holes for that, so I run that risk too... I just think two towers side by side would be as neat as one two tap tower...

Back