stuck or finished? Should I Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am ready to bottle my Northern Brewer partial Mash double IPA. It's been in the secondary for 6 weeks conditioning (after 1 month in primary). I pitched teh finishing hops a week ago.

The final gravity is 1.020 (original 1.08). it's been stable for a long time. Should i be nervous about bottling? Is it stuck or finished high? The instructions don't list a final gravity.

thanks

I am ready to bottle my Northern Brewer partial Mash double IPA. It's been in the secondary for 6 weeks conditioning (after 1 month in primary). I pitched teh finishing hops a week ago.

The final gravity is 1.020 (original 1.08). it's been stable for a long time. Should i be nervous about bottling? Is it stuck or finished high? The instructions don't list a final gravity.

thanks

Sounds finished. Depending on the ingredients, it may not go any lower no matter what you would do, so might as well bottle it and enjoy it!

Thanks! I went ahead and bottled, using coopers carb tabs.

12 oz Dingemans Caramel Pils
4 oz Briess Caramel 120
12 lbs Pilsen malt syrup
6 oz of assorted hopps
wyeast 1056

steeped grains for 20 min at 160 to 170 deg
60 minute boil

the temps in the house during fermentation were maybe a little cool around 68 deg, though i put a space heater in there for a week towards the end of the primary and kicked it up to around 72 deg.

Are you sure your hydrometer is functioning correctly? Just curious.

After six weeks and two different carboys, pretty much any beer should be safe to bottle, IMO.

That's a good question about the hydrometer. How do i check? I will put it in some water tonight and see what that says (it shoudl say 1.000 right)?

That's a good question about the hydrometer. How do i check? I will put it in some water tonight and see what that says (it shoudl say 1.000 right)?

Yes, at a certain temperature (I think room temperature). There were some numbers in my hydrometer showing the adjustments for temperature, but either way the adjustments are usually fairly small, on the order of a few thousandths (from 1.000 to 1.002, for example).

My hydrometer reads two points low (adjusted for temp). Are there better hydrometers than others, ones that are generally more accurate?

My hydrometer reads two points low (adjusted for temp). Are there better hydrometers than others, ones that are generally more accurate?

As long as you know the difference, you're good. Just count that into your calculations in the future, and re-check it every couple of months or so to make sure it hasn't changed. :fro:

Back