New Glarus Moon Man Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

storunner13

Reaction score
I just had my first 6-pack, and wow, is it delicious! The website says that it is brewed with 5 different hops, 3 of which are not commonly used in American pale ales. Has anyone tried this beer and found it as delicious as I do? Does anyone know what kind of hops are used?

I just had my first 6-pack, and wow, is it delicious! The website says that it is brewed with 5 different hops, 3 of which are not commonly used in American pale ales. Has anyone tried this beer and found it as delicious as I do? Does anyone know what kind of hops are used?

I just tried it about 1/2 hour ago! I get a floral/earthy in there, along with the citrusy, so I suspect some willamette and/or fuggles. I just bought a sixer this afternoon, and I'm saving the rest for this weekend!

Awesome. Haven't tried this one yet but have been pretty excited since they've announced it as a new year round brew.

I don't know the hops in Moon Man but I was suprised to see that their IPA uses cascade and east kent golding which is a bit different since golding is british obviously. They claim "no coast" so I'm assuming this means they are just using whatever blend they feel like. West coast, American, English, whatever.

I tried it 3 times now and love it. Want to try to brew something similar. Not "exact" but similar. anyone know of an extract kit that will get me in the neighborhood????

I've had two six packs of this, and I have to say, I really like it. I'm not a hoppy / IPA type of beer guy, but this is really tasty. I'll drink this again and again.

I make a drive once a month to Wisconsin to stock up on New Glarus and Central Trails IPA, Ill have to give this one a try, Im just mad that quit making their IPA.

I actually live in New Glarus. I go to the brewery from time to time to have a drink. All I can say best of luck on cloning any of their recipes. You will likely be on your own. They make really good beers, but they are typically pretty tight-lipped about the recipes beyond what they put on the labels. I can't say that I blame them. They are a pretty small privately owned company, and they just spent a bunch of money to build a new brewery.

Hmmm...it's a bummer that they aren't willing to share their recipes, but I don't blame them either.

As for their IPA, bh10, I'm a huge fan too! You can still find bottles in sampler packs if you're lucky. But definitely try their Moon Man when you come by.

I saw a 6 pack of their IPA at the grocery store a week or two ago. It's still around, but not sure how old it was.

Man this thread is making me thirsty. I just did a swap and got like 7 New Glarus beers in the fridge right now. Gonna drink some of the darker stuff today, but the next warm day we see I'll be cracking Moon Man and Cracked Wheat.

I had a sixer of Moon Man maybe two weeks ago now. I liked it OK, but wasn't exactly head-over-heels for it. I found it to be rather undercarbonated (could have just been that batch) and nothing too spectacular in the over all profile. Pretty straight forward. Extremely quaffable, though. It'll probably end up being a really good staple for them alongside Spotted Cow.

Just popped one open....Daddy like.

This is the sort of thing I was looking for in my pale ale, but I messed it up. The dryness was there but I over dry hopped and it got a bit grassy. Called it an IPA instead, and my brain handles it better.

I make a drive once a month to Wisconsin to stock up on New Glarus and Central Trails IPA, Ill have to give this one a try, Im just mad that quit making their IPA.

Don't mean to derail the thread too much, but I think you mean Central Waters Brewing's Glacial Trail IPA. That's a wonderful beer! If you haven't yet, try their Bourbon Barrel Barleywine. It's phenomenal!! I reviewed it for a local blog here

As for the New Glarus beer. I'm not an enormous fan of their beers, but I'm willing to give it a try given the raves it's getting here!

Back