Schlafly Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livewir

Reaction score
Here's a nice article about a great local brewery.

http://stlouis.bizjournals.com/stlouis/stories/2010/04/05/story8.html?b=1270440000^3132291

"Craft beers continue to grow in popularity nationally. While the overall beer industry experienced sales declines of about 2.2 percent last year, the craft beer segment grew 7.2 percent by volume and 10.3 percent by dollars, according to the Brewers Association, a trade group based in Boulder, Colo."

It's great to read that craft brews continue to grow!

In January I was in St Louis for business for a week and hit some of the local beer scene. Schlafly's was a good, widely available beer.

I especially liked Square One and Mattingly Brewing

Schlafly is the beer that finally turned me onto real beer. I tried many others hoping to acquire the taste and it happened with them. I still find them the best, except for my own of course. I have been working hard emptying their bottles so I can fill them up with my own and look sadly towards the day that I no longer have a need of more bottles.

I haven't tried it but I found this on another forum when I was looking.

Schlafly pale ale
88% 2 row
10% Crystal 60
2% English choc. Malt
Neutral bittering hop
EKG flaver/aroma
WL051/WY1272

5.5 gallon batch

8lbs 2R/Pale
.8lbs C 60L
.17lbs Chocolate malt

Mash for 45minutes at 153dF or so.

.67oz Northern Brewer or other neutral bittering hop @ 7%aa 60 min (4.6AAU)
.75oz East Kent Goldings @ 5%aa 20 min (3.8AAU)
.5oz EKGs @ 5 min (2.5AAU)
.75oz EKGs a couple minutes after the boil is over

Ferment cool with WL051/WY1272 and that should get you really close

27 IBUs
1.045 OG
4.4% alcohol

I stopped there during my weekend in st louis. Not bad for sure, but I really enjoyed the square one brewery & distillery. I had good conversation with the owner and brewers there.

I was in St. Louis a couple of years ago, and we went to their tap room. Their Maibock was the best i've ever had.

I remember from the Brewing Network interview with Schlafly that you can take your corny keg in and get it filled at the Tap Room. Kickass policy.

Sadly, the only Schlafly I can get here is muy expensivo. Schlafly Reserve Barleywine and Imperial Stout.

Back