Beer with Hot Peppers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhouse59

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any recipes using dried Ancho , Chipotle peppers, and Jalapeño peppers? A guy at a brew shop next to me gave me a recipe. I can't find a few of the ingredients. I thought if I could find some more. I might be able to join some of the recipes. Well any way here is the one he gave me:

the Mole’ Porter add ins were all dropped into the Porter Kit boil at the last 15 minutes. They were:

½ lb of Lactose,
½ of a tin (~4oz) of Hershey’s Special Dark Cocoa,
6 cinnamon sticks,
6 Dried Ancho peppers (rehydrate overnight – pull the stems off and coarse chop),
6 dried Chipotle peppers (same treatment as the Anchos),
1 large Jalapeño pepper with the seeds removed – for a little milder on the heat also remove the ribs – cut into strips,
3 vanilla beans split and scraped or 1 Tbsp. of vanilla bean paste,
1 nutmeg shaved into the pot
6-8 oz of oven toasted pumpkin seeds (should be able to find them at Kroeger near the dried peppers, spread out on a cookie sheet and toast at 250-275F for 30-45min. check and stir frequently, some ovens are hotter than others.

At knock out all of this needs to make it into the primary with the wort.

At the end of 4-5 days in the primary rack it to a secondary to finish the ferment.

You can also add a little Pectic enzyme to the secondary to get the finer particles of pepper pulp to settle out.

I did something similar, although just to 1 gallon of imperial oatmeal stout. I added 1 1/8 oz Dutch process cocoa + 1/4 tsp cinnamon + 1/2 ancho + 1/2 guadillero + 1/3 Moroccan vanilla bean. All to the secondary for 2 weeks. It has a subtle pepper heat, and a nice balance of the other components.

That recipe will have more spice, but otherwise looks good (although a whole nutmeg is certainly more than I would add).

Back