Screw-cap bottles and corks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subspace

Reaction score
Newbie brewing my first batch of wine. Most of the empty wine bottles I have got are the screw-cap variety. Can I put corks in these bottles or are they too weak and will they split the neck?

I second that, though I can look over to my wine rack and see at least two screw tops that were successfully corked. I was never known for being the safe one, you should go to your local wine store/bar and see if they'll give you a deal on empty bottles from tastings. My local does 10 or 5 cent bottles, depending.

However, if you insist on corking screw tops, make sure they're at least screw-top wine bottles, as they (usually) have straight necks, ensuring you relatively smooth corking.

Better to scrounge some proper bottles and be safe though.

I've corked screw top bottles ... but used a number 8 cork ... for a short storage wine.

Weak bottle rim can be a problem using a cork screw to pull a stubborn cork out of the bottle ... which is why I use number 8 corks ... hardly any resistance uncorking ... of course, that doesn't speak highly for preserving wine quality.

Guess what I'm trying to say is yes ... I've done it.

But I prefer not to do it again ... but if I had to ... I'd used a short number 8 cork ... and be careful pulling the cork ... not using the bottle top as a fulcrum to extract the cork.

Luckily, we've collected 100s of recycled (originally corked) bottles to reuse. And don't really expect to cork another screw top.

Back