Recipes for spent grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite is without a doubt the brew-burger.

Simply season and prepare your ground beef as usual then add in the grain, let the beef rest for at least 30min before forming into patties. Meanwhile in a small saucepan prepare a basting sauce using equal parts of beer and steak sauce. Simmer slowly to thicken. When grilling the burgers baste with the beer sauce during the final 2 minutes.

This is great! I've been munching on the spent grain while doing the boil and thought it would be great to add itto something. Thanks much! :mug:

The brewburger could actually be really good. Meatloafs often add some oatmeal or whatever to lighten them up and the grain could do the same thing. Give you a nice thick and tasty burger that's not as greasy and dense. Yum!

ThomasRau said:
My favorite is without a doubt the brew-burger.

Simply season and prepare your ground beef as usual then add in the grain, let the beef rest for at least 30min before forming into patties. Meanwhile in a small saucepan prepare a basting sauce using equal parts of beer and steak sauce. Simmer slowly to thicken. When grilling the burgers baste with the beer sauce during the final 2 minutes.

Wow, this is the best sounding one yet! No offense to anyone, but who needs that vegan junk?

Brew-burgers, on the menu!:ban:

Damn Squirrels said:
The brewburger could actually be really good.

Trust me on this, it is the best burger ever. I got the recipe from one of my old haunts years ago, The BrewHouse (New England Brewing Co.) in Norwalk CT. They served the burger on a pretzel bun and was their most popular item on the menu (along with a great apple strudel).

Yeah that burger sounds great! I'm just wondering what to do with the husks? Should you try and wash the husks off before putting the grains in? How is this done?

ThomasRau said:
Trust me on this, it is the best burger ever. I got the recipe from one of my old haunts years ago, The BrewHouse (New England Brewing Co.) in Norwalk CT. They served the burger on a pretzel bun and was their most popular item on the menu (along with a great apple strudel).

Is this place still there making the same burger???

Melana said:
Is this place still there making the same burger???

When I left CT last year the BrewHouse was still up and running. Be aware however they brewery was bought out by another brewery and the once great new england brewing co. beers are no longer available. But the last time I was there the food was as great as ever and that included their burgers. Also try their seafood sausage some time.

Tom

the_Roqk said:
Yeah that burger sounds great! I'm just wondering what to do with the husks? Should you try and wash the husks off before putting the grains in? How is this done?

Removing the husks is more than likely the correct way to do it, being lazy I adopted an alternate method. Let the spent grains dry (can be speeded up in a slow oven) when dry a quick run through a food mill does the trick. Add to your prepared meat, add some beer to "rehydrate" and let it rest for the flavors to fully develop.

Tom

Back