which hops to grow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rycov

Reaction score
i wanna start growing my own hops this summer, but im not sure what kind. i want to pick a type that i can use for bittering and finishing. so i can do SMaSH type beers and use only my own hops. any suggestions on what a good variety would be?

sweet thanks. any of those easier to grow than others? or more likely to do well in coastal southcarolina?

Love Centennial, aphids destroyed my crop this year.
Simcoe is not going to be something you can buy in plant form.
Cascade is a great hop and the most prolific of the few that I have grown.

Hopefully some SC area brewers will let you know what grows best for them.

I am in a similar but different situation. I'm not too far (NC near Durham) and have grown Cascade, Sterling, Northern Brewer, Magnum and Nugget. In the end the Cascade and Nugget are the only two to thrive and produce in usable quantity. I'm looking for a suggestion for another variety or two that is known to do well in the southeast and hopefully something to offer some diversity from the Cascades that are burying me.

So, Rycov you may find that the hops you want to brew with do not grow well in your area. I don't think I have found anyone that has not done well with Cascade so I'd say that's a safe bet.

I've got a Tettnang going, which i would assume is similar to Hallertau. It doesn't do as well as my Nugget, but it's 2nd year was viable enough to give me a yield to use in many batches.

i wanna start growing my own hops this summer, but im not sure what kind. i want to pick a type that i can use for bittering and finishing. so i can do SMaSH type beers and use only my own hops. any suggestions on what a good variety would be?

I would pick varieties of which you'd use often. For example, in looking at my past batches, i lean towards the German and English beers, so chose two of my three as Tettnang and Willamette.

Cascade is a vigorous plant for most people. Good if you want an American flavor in your beer. Lots of Citrus, grapefruit flavor and aroma. Very prolific grower.

Woodstone I'm in NH, are there any other hops that do decent up here, that you know of ?

Casc is prolific, and based on my experience with it, at least that will grow. Frankly, you might be able to grow whatever you want with some TLC and planning every year.

PM me...I cut and dig up tons of shoots, etc., that end up in the compost every year...I'll give you some for a six of your best. :)

I am planning to jump into planting some this year as well. Maybe three to five plants. I'm in southcentral PA. I'm think Centennial and Cascade are no-brainers. What would be some other common choices (say for pale ales, lagers and pilsners)?

Latest posts

Back