Priming with Cocoa powder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boodyrischous

Reaction score
My friend and I are making a chocolate truffle stout and we were wondering how it would work to prime with cocoa powder. We have unsweetened, which would not work I'm guessing, and this Hot Cocoa Mix that is cocoa powder and cane sugar. Any ideas?

for my chocolate espresso stout i used 8 oz of the unsweetened cocoa powder but i added it with 15 minutes to go in the boil. it doesnt mix in so well and after 6 days in the primary some chocolate has settled down to the bottom. I think you could do it at priming and dont want to steer you away from expirimenting, but my expirience with the cocoa powder is that its really hard to mix in well. Good luck

cocoa powder is not fermentable.

the hot chocolate mix will have other crap in it.

prime with dextrose.

If you want sweet, you have to use an unfermentable sugar. Lactose is the one used in Milk stouts. Most chocolate ales use chocolate malts and may use cocoa powder. But cocoa doesn't dissolve well.

Latest posts

Back