Changing temperature while laggering

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HangDawg

Reaction score
I only have 1 chest freezer to do my brewing in. Right now I have a dunkle laggering at 34 deg but would like to start another one. Would it be bad to raise the temp up to fermenting temps (55deg) and then take it back down again?

I wish I could quote a source but I recall reading that changing the temp during cold conditioning is actually benefitial in that it forces the yeast to do some adaptation. I don't really understand it though. I don't think they had a swing of say 25 degrees F in mind though. If you're up in the Northern parts where it's currently freezing, you could stash it in a mudroom or garage like I'm doing.

Bobby_M said:
I wish I could quote a source but I recall reading that changing the temp during cold conditioning is actually benefitial in that it forces the yeast to do some adaptation. I don't really understand it though. I don't think they had a swing of say 25 degrees F in mind though. If you're up in the Northern parts where it's currently freezing, you could stash it in a mudroom or garage like I'm doing.

I'd like to be able to do this in the summer too though.

I've never done it, so I really don't know what it will do. How long have you been lagering that first dunkel? The longer it's been, the less effect I would expect.

TL

TexLaw said:
I've never done it, so I really don't know what it will do. How long have you been lagering that first dunkel? The longer it's been, the less effect I would expect.

TL

Been in almost a month. I guess I'll try it and see what happens. I'll do it on the second and third one though so I know what this one comes out like without interruption.

Back