First Brew! 1 week in Primary.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rossypete

Reaction score
Just wanted to update y'all from last time.

I took all the suggestions I got and reformulated the recipe.

8lbs Light LE
.5lb Rye
.5lb Caramel 60
2oz Cascade @ 60
2oz Centennial @ 45
2oz Cascade @15

Add a little yeast and it's been sitting for 1 week. It's my first one, but I have patience. Going to let it sit in primary for another 1.5-2 weeks. Then putting it in the kegs and sitting for another 2 weeks.

Can't wait to see how it turns out. Ready for the hops. What are y'alls initial thoughts? Anything I should do differently about the fermenting process?

Ideas and Recipes always welcome.

Stay Hoppy.

Planning on dry hopping it? Looks like that beer might punch you in the face a little bit. I'd move the centennial later in the boil next time. Maybe push it to your 15min addition and put your last 2oz of Cascade to flamout and let them steep for a few minutes before chilling.

if it's done fermenting, you can cold crash (i'm guessing you can since you mentioned kegs), then dryhop in the primary and then rack after 7 days...or you can do something different. whatever makes you happy

Planning on dry hopping it? Looks like that beer might punch you in the face a little bit. I'd move the centennial later in the boil next time. Maybe push it to your 15min addition and put your last 2oz of Cascade to flamout and let them steep for a few minutes before chilling.

I figured I might get punched in the face. I added the Centennial more like 35 mins, I know thats not a huge difference. I put the last half of malt in at the end as well. I'm taking notes WDT and appreciate the input.

I knew going into it, it was a risk. If it's good, I'll send you one. If it's not... I'll probably drink it anyways.

Thanks for the insight. Glad to have found this site.

if it's done fermenting, you can cold crash (i'm guessing you can since you mentioned kegs), then dryhop in the primary and then rack after 7 days...or you can do something different. whatever makes you happy

Prog... can we talk about what "Cold Crashing" is? Your knowledge has overwhelmed me. Ha.

Thanks.

"Cold Crashing" is when you place the beer at a fairly cold temperature (usually just above freezing point) to encourage the yeast and other "floaties" to fall down to the bottom of the vessel. Helps you get a real clear/clean beer. Not always necessary, but helps move the conditioning along. Also results in less sediment in bottles, or in your case, the kegs.

"Cold Crashing" is when you place the beer at a fairly cold temperature (usually just above freezing point) to encourage the yeast and other "floaties" to fall down to the bottom of the vessel. Helps you get a real clear/clean beer. Not always necessary, but helps move the conditioning along. Also results in less sediment in bottles, or in your case, the kegs.

Thanks Pea. When does one usually cold crash? Do you cold crash right before you put it in kegs? Stupid Question?

No problem :D Cold crashing usually takes place before you put it in kegs. Ideally you cold crash your beer and then put it directly in the kegs w/o giving the beer time to warm up (assuming you force carb) and w/o disturbing the trub too much. This keeps your beer sparkling clear ;)

Thanks Pea. When does one usually cold crash? Do you cold crash right before you put it in kegs? Stupid Question?
Once your final gravity has been reached, and has been confirmed over say a 3 day period, you can begin to cold crash. That 3 day period isn't just good for making sure it has stopped fermenting - It's also good for giving the yeast some time to clean up (e.g. diacetyl rest) before cold crashing, although I usually do as you plan and leave it for a few weeks and then measure.

You'll have beer when it's done and learn a lot from this batch. Pretty gutsy doing an IPA for your first batch. Hope it turns out good.

Cascade and centennial play real nice together, classic west coast flavor. Good choices on your hops.

i was recommending the cold crash before the dry hopping so you don't clear too much of the dry-hopped goodness. but those kind of decisions are really up to the brewer. i won't tell you how to paint your happy trees.

i was recommending the cold crash before the dry hopping so you don't clear too much of the dry-hopped goodness. but those kind of decisions are really up to the brewer. i won't tell you how to paint your happy trees.

:fro: I appreciate you allowing for my artistic flow. I also appreciate the many ideas that I am taking from this. I'm super-excited about this beer regardless. So I can Cold Crash, (then put it in secondary and dry-hop), or Cold Crash and Keg. Man, this is quickly becoming much better than PBS Saturday Mornings painting happy little clouds, and mighty beaten paths.

You'll have beer when it's done and learn a lot from this batch. Pretty gutsy doing an IPA for your first batch. Hope it turns out good.

Cascade and centennial play real nice together, classic west coast flavor. Good choices on your hops.

Thanks WDT. This might be my first brew. But, I've been researching beers since I was old enough (or not old enough) to enjoy them. There are some things that I'd like to do more "precise" the next time, but the first time was just fun. And yeah, I'm excited to learn a ton.

Love the West Coast Flavor. Favorite seasonal out right now. Ruthless Rye, Sierra Nevada. If you ain't had it, you're an alien.

Back