What's wrong with my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

henson

Reaction score
I made a brown ale twelve days ago, and I used a starter that a friend gave me. Now it looks like this and has a strange taste. Any suggestions or answers?

image-2612427017.jpg

looks like yeast to me. it's a rare occasion i've never had that crap sitting up on top, thats normal :)

also, for the taste... what yeast? what temps? AG? Extract?

Fermented in the mid to low 60s. It's a starter I made from American ale yeast that a friend gave me. I put the wort in fermenter on a Saturday and didnt pitch the yeast until the next day. That's one thing that has me concerned. It did seem to take a couple of days to see airlock activity. OG was 1.05. It was a 10 gallon batch that I split between 2 ferm. The other w London yeast finished at 1.01 and this one is 1.015.

If you're expecting stuff out of a fermenter to taste like your favorite bottle of craft beer you are sorely mistaken about the point of properly conditioning your beer ;)

Beer often tastes strange until it is carbonated properly. I would say bottle it, wait at least 3 weeks at ~70 degrees, then get concerned if it still tastes "twangy".

I'm concerned that it hasn't fermented out fully in 12 days using american ale yeast with a starter.

Even pitching straight from an activator pack into a fermenter in the low-to-mid 60's, Chico strain should have ripped through that (~1.045?) in less than a week. I've never seen an american ale krausen look like that one before.

I think you're right about it not being finished fermenting yet. I moved it to a slightly warmer area of the house and now there's airlock activity again.

Back