Dingemans Pilsn Malt 60 Minute boil and DMS potential

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anico4704

Reaction score
I will be making a Kolsch with almost 7lbs of Dingemans Pils malt, and 2 pounds of white wheat malt.

I was wondering first of all will a 60 minute boil be enough? I have a 8 gallon kettle with a massive boil off rate. Every time I brew its 2 gallon boil off per hour, and I normally start with 7.2 gallons which is really as high as I can go. So I would normally end up with 5 gallons almost on the dot into the fermenter, leaving most cold and hot break in the fermenter.

So basically if I did a 90 minut boil I would be down to 4.5 gallons at the most, and I wanted at least 5 gallons.

I have done another recipe with 4 lbs of the same pils and 7lbs of wheat, but that was a hef and it turned out amazing.

Am I going to have an issue with the mainly pils recipe and DMS?

It sounds like you just want confirmation to what you already know.

Supposedly you are supposed to cook pilsner wort for 90 minutes to burn off undesirables. So boil your wort for 30 minutes before you start your 60 minute timer and you will be good to go.

It sounds like you just want confirmation to what you already know.

Supposedly you are supposed to cook pilsner wort for 90 minutes to burn off undesirables. So boil your wort for 30 minutes before you start your 60 minute timer and you will be good to go.

So if I boil 30 minutes in the beginning without adding any hops or anything, can I top it off with tap water before i start the 60 minute boil, or does that screw things up?

So if I boil 30 minutes in the beginning without adding any hops or anything, can I top it off with tap water before i start the 60 minute boil, or does that screw things up?

pretty much... since you are using all grain, (I assumed) you can keep using sparge water instead of tap water.

as long as the sparge gravity doesn't get to below 1.01, to be safe

pretty much... since you are using all grain, (I assumed) you can keep using sparge water instead of tap water.

as long as the sparge gravity doesn't get to below 1.01, to be safe

Ok now i'm confused, so I was going to fully mash and do a batch sparge and bring everything to a boil at 7.25 gallons. At the 30 minute mark (60 minutes left in the boil, I was going to then add the needed water to get it back up to 7.25 gallons again so I end up with 5 gallons. Is this not what you are talking about? You threw me for a loop with the sparge water gravity being above 1.01

Ok now i'm confused, so I was going to fully mash and do a batch sparge and bring everything to a boil at 7.25 gallons. At the 30 minute mark (60 minutes left in the boil, I was going to then add the needed water to get it back up to 7.25 gallons again so I end up with 5 gallons. Is this not what you are talking about? You threw me for a loop with the sparge water gravity being above 1.01

You can't really go wrong... So either way just boil for 30 minutes before you start your 60 minute timer.

Back