Strong Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoorYorick

Reaction score
Ok guys I have put one of my previous recipes on steriods and am hoping someone has some input to offer before I brew on Christmas weekend. I would like to make a strong Stout that is malty good on the taste and kicks ya in the ass when you down a pint.

Recipe 5.5 gal

71% 15lbs 2 Row
14% 3lbs Munich
5% 1lb Carmel/Cryst 60L
5% 1lb Chocolate Malt
5% 1lb Roasted Barley

1oz Chinook 12.5% @ 60min, 45min, 30min = estimated 76.4 IBU

Primary for about 10 days, secondary for 10-14 days and add in a few maybe 2 oz cocoa nibs/powder. Not big of a choc flavor just enough to hint.

I am still wondering about which yeast to use. I am debating between Irish ale 1084 or a couple packets of US-05 or my normal roll of some good ole 007. i just didn't want the 007 to flavor the beer.... What do you guys think?

I kinda did the exact same thing to a recipe I've brewed several times, the old reliable Founder's Breakfast Stout clone.
16 lb 2-row
22 oz. oats
1 lb roasted barley
1 lb debittered, black malt
2 oz. coffee
2 oz. cocoa
1 oz Millenium pellet hops (64 min.)
1⁄2 tsp. Irish moss (last 15 minutes)
Safale US-05

OG 1.098, brewed 12/8, I just used 1 packet of US-05, maybe should have used 1.5, we'll see.

It looks good, I'd go with 05

Id also consider using two different crystals instead of just the 60...A lot of my fav stouts use 40 and 80 or 60 and 120 for example to give nice depth of flavor

Ok Im thinking I may just go with the 05. I originally had a pound of victory in there as well, but I took it out to see what this will taste like and not confuse it all. Would you use two packets of 05?

I kinda did the exact same thing to a recipe I've brewed several times, the old reliable Founder's Breakfast Stout clone.
16 lb 2-row
22 oz. oats
1 lb roasted barley
1 lb debittered, black malt
2 oz. coffee
2 oz. cocoa
1 oz Millenium pellet hops (64 min.)
1⁄2 tsp. Irish moss (last 15 minutes)
Safale US-05

OG 1.098, brewed 12/8, I just used 1 packet of US-05, maybe should have used 1.5, we'll see.

That looks good! Id like to hear how it turns out FG wise :) Il probably do the 05 too.

Ok Im thinking I may just go with the 05. I originally had a pound of victory in there as well, but I took it out to see what this will taste like and not confuse it all. Would you use two packets of 05?

Its more than 1 packet. If you dont have another use for a half packet within a couple days of opening, you may as well use all of both.

I bottled the founders clone, it finished around 1020

Right on! Thats exactly what I needed to know. My expected OG is 1.094 and Id like to get down to at 1.021 at least. Thanks very much you guys. I will post my results in about three weeks :) Actually four weeks as Im not brewing till Saturday.

That looks good! Id like to hear how it turns out FG wise :) Il probably do the 05 too.

Yeah I probably would have done 1.5 packets if I remembered. I occasionally have a 0.5 packet lying around after using 0.5 to bottle up a high gravity beer that has been in primary for >4 months.

I like stouts but I want to taste more than just the roasted barley. The recipes I looked at took between 4 and 8 ounces of roasted barley and a similar amount of chocolate malt or black malt. I think yours will be way to strongly flavored with a pound of each. You may like it that way, I wouldn't.

I like stouts but I want to taste more than just the roasted barley. The recipes I looked at took between 4 and 8 ounces of roasted barley and a similar amount of chocolate malt or black malt. I think yours will be way to strongly flavored with a pound of each. You may like it that way, I wouldn't.

Yea I am going for a kick you in your arse malt assault, and at 10% of the bill the roasted/dark malts I think will be pretty level with the rest. I am also going to boil 3 oz of 12.5 Chinook so that will also blend with the dark malt flavor. At least that's the plan :rockin:

Man that first recipe, the Double Imperial Stout looks DELICIOUS! If I wasn't already set brewing this recipe this weekend I would switch to that one. I will be brewing that soon!

Man that first recipe, the Double Imperial Stout looks DELICIOUS! If I wasn't already set brewing this recipe this weekend I would switch to that one. I will be brewing that soon!

Yeah a good way to find good recipes is to look at a recipe category and then sort by Views, the good ones rise to the top, probably anything on the first page is worth making.

I've used the Irish ale for an oatmeal stour a couple time it came out quite well. I got some compliment serving it yesterday at my grandma's

Alright well I brewed it on Saturday. I added in 4 more lbs of British Pale to make it a full 25 lbs of grain for the 5 gallon batch :) I boiled it down used 4 oz chinook hops in the boil schedule and pitched two full packets of Safale US-05 no starter. The yeast were munching and bubbling like hell after about 6 hours. I will be racking to a secondary after two weeks. OG was about 1.107 :)

Alright well I brewed it on Saturday. I added in 4 more lbs of British Pale to make it a full 25 lbs of grain for the 5 gallon batch :) I boiled it down used 4 oz chinook hops in the boil schedule and pitched two full packets of Safale US-05 no starter. The yeast were munching and bubbling like hell after about 6 hours. I will be racking to a secondary after two weeks. OG was about 1.107 :)

Don't rush this to secondary. It's a big beer and may not be done with active fermentation by then. If you move it too early the ferment may stall. I'd be tempted to leave it in the primary for 5 to as much as 8 weeks to give the yeast all the time they need.

Back