10 or 15 Gallon Brew Kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K_Squared

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to brewing but I want to get started with the right equipment from the beginning.

I aim to go all grain in the future for 5 gallon batches at a time.

Is a 10 or 15 gallon better?

I've heard that for 5 gallon batches the boil-off (evaporation) is too much in a 15 gallon. I've also heard that 10 gallons will be too small for all grain and there are boil over issues.

I'm essentially looking to buy a single brew kettle (a good one) one time.

Thanks for any thoughts on this,
Ken

Hi,

I'm new to brewing but I want to get started with the right equipment from the beginning.

I aim to go all grain in the future for 5 gallon batches at a time.

Is a 10 or 15 gallon better?

I've heard that for 5 gallon batches the boil-off (evaporation) is too much in a 15 gallon. I've also heard that 10 gallons will be too small for all grain and there are boil over issues.

I'm essentially looking to buy a single brew kettle (a good one) one time.

Thanks for any thoughts on this,
Ken

If you are only doing 5 gallon batches the 10 is plenty. I do 5 gallon AG batches in a 7.5 gallon kettle, works just fine. If you plan to do double batches at any point, you may want to go ahead and invest in the 15. You'll just have to adjust your water volume depending on the evaporation.

I do mostly 5 gallon all grain batches in mine,but I like the fact I can do 10 when I want. I have a 15 gallon PolarWare.

I just got a bayou classic 1044 11 gallon pot on Amazon for $68 and free shipping. I am doing 5 gallon batches as well but figure i could probably do a ten with a little top off water if i ever wanted to. And zero fear of boil over.

If you have the means to heat/store it, extra boil-off just means starting off with a little extra water. If you think you may ever want to go past 5 gallon batches, I'd be inclined to go bigger.

If storage/heating is going to be a problem, if you're sure you'll stick with 5-6 gallon batches, or if you're looking for a bargain, then I'd go with the smaller pot.

Like a few others have said it really matters if you stay with 5 g batches.

But a 10 is plenty for 5g batches. Roughly 6-7g goes into the kettle leaving 3-4 g of space. I still watch for boil overs but I can't say one has happened yet.

I wouldn't get to concerned with boil-off rates, you're going to have to figure that out and compensate for any size kettle eventually if you care about repeatability.

I do 5 gallon batches in a 15.5 gallon keggle and have never had an issue. Just did my first 10 gallon batch yesterday in a keggle and have a MASSIVE boil-over at the start of the boil - so I generally think bigger is better within reason.

To piggy back off this, does any one use Hamilton Beach Stainless Steel stock pots? If so what are the pros and cons? Thanks!

To piggy back off this, does any one use Hamilton Beach Stainless Steel stock pots? If so what are the pros and cons? Thanks!

Only con I see is it doesn't look like they make anything bigger than a 20qt pot anymore. If you are doing partial boils or small batches that may be ok. I do 5 gallon full boil and 30qt is barely enough. If you think you'll expand at any point, you're better off going a little bigger. Otherwise SS should be SS.

Latest posts

Back