First time long time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emillswrx

Reaction score
just tasted my first homebrew in 15 years, tried a rogue brutal bitter kit from brewcraft, and it's not too bad it not great. The kit only used one aroma/flavor hop variety, crystal, and it's not nearly as floral, and hoppy and interesting as my favorite beers (stone ipa, lagunitas Maximus, dogfish 60 and 90). Beyond the relative lack of hops the biggest difference is the thinness of my brew. My kit used 5 lbs of dme which seems a bit light to me, and my final gravity was just under 1.010. So, my thoughts are to get closer to what I like I need to increase the dme to around 7lbs, add another late boil hop variety, and add more hops to the dry hop, maybe 2 oz instead of 1 oz. I'd love to hear your opinions, looking forward to enjoying the forum!

Nice. And nice choice-never had that. A bitter is usually a bit lighter,sounds like brutal just means hoppier.YOur FG is a good fg in general. Sounds like you just need to get an ipa kit. A bitter is lighter than a pale ale.Which a pale ale is generally lighter than an ipa. A bitter is more of a light/session ale. Usually precedes as this Bitter then: extra bitter(I think),extra special bitter,pale ale,ipa,double ipa....

Welcome!!

What was the hop addition schedule, type, and amount used?
I'm not familiar with that brew, but "bitter" is generally associated with early addition hops (boiling), and you seem to like beers that are late-addition style.
It may need more late hop additions, like you said.

5# DME does sound a bit light, assuming this is a 5 gallon brew?

It was actually the rogue brutal ipa kit, but you're right in saying that it sounds more like a bitter. I think I'll try to up the malt and late hops for my next brew, any hop recommendations for a really citrusy and piney finish? Also, what color dme to mimic stone ipa? Thanks

I think I'll try to up the malt and late hops for my next brew, any hop recommendations for a really citrusy and piney finish?

Centennial, Cascade, Amarillo, Chinook, etc...

Also, what color dme to mimic stone ipa? Thanks

I would use the lightest DME you can find, and supplement it with crystal/roasted malts for color/flavor. If you want to help yourself, try using beercalculus.com it's great for figuring out what you might end up with.

Stone IPA is 93.5% Pale Malt with 6.5% Crystal 15L, according to Stone's Brewmaster Mitch Steele in his new IPA book.

90 minute boil using 26% Chinook and 23% Columbus at the start of the boil.

Add the remaining 51% as Centennial during whirlpool.

Dry hop with Centennial @ 0.29 oz/gal and Chinook @ 0.033 oz/gal

Shoot for OG: 1.066 FG: 1.012 IBU: 75 ABV: 6.9% Color 9.5L

Back