Fermentation with no krausen and now stuck...amylase?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugzz819

Reaction score
Ok, so 2 weeks ago I brewed an ale with a recipe based on a homebrew mexican lager that I had tasted. I pretty much adjusted the recipe to 5 gallons from 6 and used Nottingham yeast, figuring if I fermented as cool as I could it would be pretty clean. Here's the recipe for reference...

4lbs pilsner
1.5 lbs 6-row
3lbs flaked maize (from lhbs)
hopped with hallertauer

Mashed at 150 for approximately 75 minutes. I had done 3 other batches that weekend so I know my thermometer was good and I only lost 2 degrees during the mash. OG estimate was 1.049 and I got 1.053 so that seemed pretty ok.

Cooled to approximately 70 and pitched some rehydrated notty (although I was in a rush so I only let it soak in the water for approximately 10 minutes). Then brought temps down to about 65 with a swamp cooler.

The problem is, I never got a krausen, which is very unlike all of my other fermentations with notty. The airlock bubbled occasionally, but not like expected and I only got little bubbles rising to the surface, almost like carbonation bubbles. SG after 2 weeks is only 1.030 with the estimated SG being 1.014. I've tried rousing the yeast by swirling, letting it warm up, adding another pack of notty and at my wits end yesterday after still getting no activity I pitched a starter of some harvested us-05 and still nothing.

I'm fairly certain I've probably way overpitched at this point and I probably should have looked at other alternatives before the 05 but live and learn. I also have never used that much maize in a recipe so I thought between the pilsner and 6row I had enough diastatic power to convert it but maybe I was wrong.

So.....my question is, should I go pick up some amylase enzyme and add that to try to get this to finish. I don't mind letting it sit for another month but I'd like to try to get this to finish as we were looking forward to it for the hot end of summer. Any suggestions would be awesome. Thanks in advance!:mug:

This is interesting indeed. What method do you use to aerate before pitching? Not neccesarily the issue cause its dry yeast but a little more info can't hurt

Stir the crap out of it in the kettle after cooling and then transfer using auto siphon with hose kept at the top of the carboy so it splashes a bit and then shake the crap out of the fermenter. Those are my standard aeration methods for now until I can afford the equipment, and I've never had this happen before in some 30 something batches, especially with notty. On this batch I also shook it the next morning about 9 hours after pitching because there was no activity.

Swamp cooler kept it around 65 for the first week or so before I let it rise to 69/70ish for the repitch of notty 4 days ago.

If I hadn't paid so much attention to it due to always changing out frozen bottles I would say it looks like beer after the krausen has dropped but before it clears up the beer.

Bump for the evening crowd. Wondering if I should run to lhbs tomorrow to pick up amylase or if anyone has another suggestion. Thanks again!

Back