Vessels for Stir Plates

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H-ost

Reaction score
Question to those that use stir plates, do all of you use an erlenmeyer flask for a reason, like a normal glass or pitcher would wobble and fall over? My question is do I need to buy a flask or can I use a half gallon cider jug or a 40oz malt liquor bottle?

Some people use other vessels, but you have to be careful to find the type that have flat bottoms or your stir bar won't stay put. The primary advantage of the flask IMHO, is that I can boil up my starter wort on my gas stove directly in the flask, no transfers or pouring necessary. Secondarily, I am less concerned about a thrown stir bar shattering a flask because I know the glass is tempered.

Question to those that use stir plates, do all of you use an erlenmeyer flask for a reason, like a normal glass or pitcher would wobble and fall over? My question is do I need to buy a flask or can I use a half gallon cider jug or a 40oz malt liquor bottle?

Erlenmeyer flasks are widely used because they're made of borosilicate glass - you can boil a couple liters of wort, in it, put it directly in an ice bath to cool, and pitch in the same container, keeping everything more sanitary. The wide bottom allows enough head-space to keep boil-over in check, and the mouth will accomodate easy-to-find stoppers drilled for airlocks. I prefer a wide mouth erlenmeyer flask and a wide stopper (less chance of boil-over). You COULD use another container, but I can't think of a single reason you would. If you've already invested in a stir plate, you may as well have the best setup available.

I use 1g glass jugs. Allows me to build up nice large starters. Its sometimes a little tough to get the stirbar in place, but once it is I've never had a problem.

Cool, great responses guys, thanks.

Sounds like it is possible to go the ghetto route but there are good logical reasons why a flask is widely used. I think I will be buying a flask.

I wish I would have bought the $5 1 gallon jug in the beginning because it works great for anything 1L - 3L. I acid etched the jug for 250mL increments.

YeastStarter_Pic2.jpg

I used a flower vase I stole from my wife works great and I was able to replace the vase I stole for 89 cents at the local goodwill. Vases work better than jars or jugs because you can find them with flat bottoms. I have a glass top stove so I can't boil in a flask anyways.

Last I've seen 5 bux was the cost of for a gal jug. Try another shop I guess. online they're 5 bux but shipping will more than double the price. what are you seeing for prices?

Do the gal jugs work good on a stir plate? I wouldn't consider their bottoms to be very flat.

You're right, my LHBS has some for 5$, just need to check if they have a flat bottom.

I used a flower vase I stole from my wife works great and I was able to replace the vase I stole for 89 cents at the local goodwill. Vases work better than jars or jugs because you can find them with flat bottoms. I have a glass top stove so I can't boil in a flask anyways.

Except that no, you can. :) Unless you have an induction range.

The bottom isn't flat in a 1 gallon jug, but a stirbar with a centering ring works fine. Any stirbar probably works but the centering one is noiseless. Practice with a jug and water to test it out and to determine how fast you can go before throwing the bar. I can spin in a flask faster, but never use all that speed.

Erlenmeyer flasks are widely used because they're made of borosilicate glass

Ok, I admit, this is nitpicking, but occasionally I feel the need to debunk this oft-repeated canard. Indulge me if you wish.

Originally, flasks and other laboratory glassware used for direct heating were made of borosilicate glass because it has far better thermal properties (less expansion, less prone to shatter from thermal shock) than soda lime glass. The drawback was that borosilicate glass is very brittle. Very old glassware can be dangerous because it breaks into large shards. When the state of the art progressed such that it was possible and economical to use toughened/tempered soda lime glass to make laboratory glassware, manufacturers switched. You will find that any flask that you order today will be tempered soda lime glass. This includes Kimax and Pyrex lines. You can confirm that it is tempered if you view it through a polarized lens because you can see the characteristic compressive strain lines in the glass.

Ok, I admit, this is nitpicking, but occasionally I feel the need to debunk this oft-repeated canard. Indulge me if you wish.

Originally, flasks and other laboratory glassware used for direct heating were made of borosilicate glass because it has far better thermal properties (less expansion, less prone to shatter from thermal shock) than soda lime glass. The drawback was that borosilicate glass is very brittle. Very old glassware can be dangerous because it breaks into large shards. When the state of the art progressed such that it was possible and economical to use toughened/tempered soda lime glass to make laboratory glassware, manufacturers switched. You will find that any flask that you order today will be tempered soda lime glass. This includes Kimax and Pyrex lines. You can confirm that it is tempered if you view it through a polarized lens because you can see the characteristic compressive strain lines in the glass.

Completely true. I err (constantly) out of habit. I have a lot of actual borocilicate (old) pyrex, which will in fact shatter (though not due to thermal shock). I definitely should have said soda lime glass.

Thanks for correcting me, and cheers!

I got my stirplate today, It's the Hanna Instruments 190M. I also just took my lunch break to pick up some brew supplies for tomorrow and I grabbed a 2000ml graduated Erlenmeyer flask. I can't wait to use it all for the first time, this will also be my first time trying starters.

Back