My LHBS rocks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I figured that since a dozen threads went around for people who hate their local shop, I wanted to bring the exact opposite experience to light.

My LHBS is small. Very small. In fact, it's 90% wine if you don't count the big bags of grain in the back room.

Prices are ok, maybe a little more than I could find online, but for the convenience of having it right there...worth the little extra he charges.

He was out of UK pale malt, but gave me MO for the same price.
He often sells me the whole grain bill at base malt price, because figuring out 1-1.5 pounds of 7 different malts is a pain in his ass.

He tastes my crappy beer, and makes recommendations. He tastes my good beer and compliments it.

He says: "Hey Alan, how's it going?" as I walk through the door. Aside from bringing my account up on his computer, and me telling him my name that first time we started buying there, I never really told him my name. He just remembers it from all the times I come in and punches my name up on the computer without me having to say a word.

He invites me to a big brew out with his local club, knowing I'm not a member and don't much care to be in a club, he invites me just to come drink and learn.

He shares his personal recipes for a kick ass kolsch. Another local HBS packages their recipes with bags labeled '60 minute hops,' but don't tell you what they are. They don't tell you what grains are in it, they just have a big bag of pre-crushed AG grains for the kit. If you purchase grains in bulk, you can't have the recipe to try and duplicate it again, you must buy the kit.

So, I just wanted to say happy thoughts about my local homebrew store because the owner and (almost) sole employee is an all around great guy who's happy to have me in his store and always makes time to chat while we're putting together a grain bill.

Congrats! I'm very happy for you. It's great to have a LHBS with helpful people. I'm extremely fortunate to live in Austin, home of AHS. The guys there are always helpful and all their recipes list out ingredients to the ounce. No secrets, just beer.

Great customer service is hard to come by. You are fortunate you found one. Enjoy!

It's "Thirsty Brewer" in Baldwin (about 10 miles north of Baltimore), MD.

I wasn't meaning to come in and advertise for him, more just to make sure people realize that there ARE good small LHBS stores out there after all the recent horror stories.

Sounds like my LHBS, jezter6. I've been looking for a source of bulk 2 row and grinder, but the guy really needs people to buy his grain or he'll let it go. Loves to talk and calls me by name. I think I'll just pay the extra for the convenience and the personal touch. By the way, the name of his shop is the 'Grape and Grain' in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Scott's a hell of a guy.

Good to see LHBS that treat their customers right.

My LHBS is the same way. Always got time to chat, taste and comment.
If they don't carry it they will order if they can.
He even went so far as to let me order a sack of grain he couldn't get
( for reasons I won't explain here) and put it on a pallet order he had comming from the same location. No charge to me.
They are here http://www.brewerylane.com/beer.html

I've gone to Maryland Homebrew a few times and Columbia and have had great service. I just wish there was a shop a bit more local to me in Montgomery county.

adx said:
I just wish there was a shop a bit more local to me in Montgomery county.

Try shooting a bit north next time. Flying Barrel is a GREAT LHBS, and if anything, it's worth the trip just to meet new brewers. :) Prices are competitive and you get your items the same day. It's still a little drive, but Bethesda to Frederick isn't really that bad...

(As a note: I do Frederick to Sterling to Alexandria daily... My perception of "not that bad" may be off a bit.)

:mug: to great Home Brew Suppliers!

My LHBS has 4 or 5 employees, everyone is nice except for this one guy who is an ass. This guy isn't helpful or friendly, so I try to stay clear of him.

On another note, My LHBS has a mailing list up on the cashier counter and of course I signed up for it. Problem is I have yet to get anything and I signed up 11 months ago. Same goes for my brother in law who was there w/ me.

I love my LHBS. All the people working there make beer and wine so they know what they are doing and talking about. Plus other then one kind of hops I was looking for and they did not have they have had everything I am looking for. :rockin:
But I go there so much some of the guys say that I need to punch in.. lol

All Seasons in Nashville is wonderful as well. You can call ahead with your order and it will be milled and ready to pick up by the time I get there in 10 minutes.

Prices are great too, since I am not having things shipped to me.

Also, they have half-price yeast that is over 6 months old. I've never had a problem reviving them, so it's specialty liquid yeast for $3.50 or so.

homebrew den in tallahassee FL is the best place in the world. they are half responsible for my beer brewing to date (homebrewtalk.com is the other other half).

My local shop, www.AmericanBrewmaster.com, is wonderful. All of the guys are friendly and very experienced and they usually have what I want- except Caravienne, which seems to go pretty quickly. The owner even took my friend/mentor Rob and I out for some "market research" one evening a few weeks back. Thanks for the pints Mark!

I'm lucky and live in Hopkins which borders St. Louis Park, the home of Midwest Homebrew Supply. It's a big place, but they staff it pretty well and most of the employees are helpful. I haven't had a bad experience yet. They'll know me there sooner or later...I'm in there about once a week now. :D

I love American Brewmaster also, Mark and the rest of the guys are great. Sometimes I'll bring in a few homebrews and just chat it up with them for an hour.

Kevin Dean said:
Try shooting a bit north next time. Flying Barrel is a GREAT LHBS, and if anything, it's worth the trip just to meet new brewers. :) Prices are competitive and you get your items the same day. It's still a little drive, but Bethesda to Frederick isn't really that bad...

(As a note: I do Frederick to Sterling to Alexandria daily... My perception of "not that bad" may be off a bit.)
It seems that everytime in Frederick it's only on my way to PA.

I actually drive Bethesda to Baltimore everyday to get to work. Stopping in Columbia is basically on my way home. Will probably stop by tomorrow or Thursday. I need to pickup some WLP004 and Irish Moss.

www.kettletokeg.com The guy who ownes the store is the only one who works there and hes great. He lives across the street and he will open the store whenever i need to get there and the best lhbs prices i ahve been witnessed

Flying Barrel is my LHBS and I have to agree with Kevin. Great store, lots of supplies, very friendly and knowledgeable staff. They made it really easy to get back into the hobby for me. Now that I ordered a Barley Crusher, I may be going there quite a bit more for grains. I'm sure I'll get lazy in my ordering knowing I can crush it myself.

Back