American IPA Simcoe IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
us-05
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
no
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
no
Tasting Notes
Massive floral bouquet, all hop flavor
Single infusion mash
Mash Temp: 152
10.25lbs 2-row
.5lb Carapils
.5lb Crystal 40
.5lb Crystal 90
1oz Simcoe @ 11.9% 30mins
.5oz Simcoe @ 11.9% 20mins
1oz Simcoe @ 11.9% 15mins
.5oz Simcoe @ 11.9% 10mis
.5oz Simcoe @ 11.9% 5mins
.5oz Simcoe @ 11.9% 0mins
Dryhop 1oz Simcoe 7 days before keg/bottle
Yeast: US-05

This isn't your typical IPA with a retarded amount of harsh bitterness. Because of the late hop additions, the bitterness is much more mellow and much more of the aroma and flavor is kept. Next time I do this I might do a first wort hop as well.

with no 60 min addition I bet the taste and hop aroma will be awesome, post how it tastes

it tastes like an citrusy hop. Almost like you're eating a flower. I mean it's just all hop flavor. Plus the aroma is amazing.

This is my flagship IPA if you will. I've always loved simcoe, and i've made this about 8 times now. Always a winner and even with people that aren't all that big of a hophead.

I'd like to try brewing this, as I have yet to use Simcoe. But I do really like its aroma from the package now in my freezer, so I am eager to use it. I'd planned using it as part of an IPA. But maybe a SMaSHIPA like this would be better. How does it compare with Chinook?

I'd like to try brewing this, as I have yet to use Simcoe. But I do really like its aroma from the package now in my freezer, so I am eager to use it. I'd planned using it as part of an IPA. But maybe a SMaSHIPA like this would be better. How does it compare with Chinook?

chinook is quite different!

i did a simcoe smash, planned to use marris otter, but the LHBS was out :(

here is what i did.... i should have bought another pound to toast for a while tho for better color, this **** looks like kerz

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 100.00 %
0.30 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (75 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 14.2 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 9 days) Hops -
0.20 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 8.2 IBU
0.20 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (50 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.20 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (40 min) Hops 7.2 IBU
0.20 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (30 min) Hops 6.3 IBU
0.20 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (20 min) Hops 5.5 IBU
0.10 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (20 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
0.10 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

this is gonna be over hopped bitterness wise tho, the OG only ended up @ 1.049 :(
i got bad efficiency, but the stone clone i made was was better, i did both at the same time. no idea where i effed up.

I don't think a smash would be very good with an IPA. IPA's need malt to not necessarily balance, but enhance the hop flavor... to back it up and make a whole beer.

Having you're water chemistry right is very important for an IPA as well. Night an day.

simcoe is a great hop i just made a double simcoe which went down a treat at the home brew club as well everyone enjoyed it
i love the aroma and flavor
i am still thinking of posting my recipe soon

I love Simcoe for bittering. I have used it in my IPA's a lot. Is aleter addition better for flavor?

Stoutfan- Simcoe has a nice piney, citrusy flavor to it if you use it as a later, flavoring hop. I'm drinking a beer these days that I call my American ESB, with a nice late Simcoe kick that makes me happy. Give it a try as a flavor hop.

sub a bunch of the 2-row for dme and adjust the hops for the partial boil.

Brew day tomorrow. Doing your recipe, my second all grain brew. Ready for another 8 hour fist fight.:drunk: I'll let you know how it turns out.:mug:

The only things i will tweak are i will do a 90 min boil as i am told and have read that the extra boil time will remove unwanted tannins and grainy flavor. I will also use Whitelabs California Ale 001 (which i harvested from my conical last batch...scared, first time trying) with a starter, because i have to. The 31 days in secondary I think is excessive, I'll do 3 days, dump trub, 4 days then dump trub & yeast. Now we are into conical secondary and i will go for 14 days dry hopping the last 7. Any advice or suggestions are more than welcome. Thanks in advance! Cheers!:mug:

z987k said:
Single infusion mash
Mash Temp: 152
10.25lbs 2-row
.5lb Carapils
.5lb Crystal 40
.5lb Crystal 90
1oz Simcoe @ 11.9% 30mins
.5oz Simcoe @ 11.9% 20mins
1oz Simcoe @ 11.9% 15mins
.5oz Simcoe @ 11.9% 10mis
.5oz Simcoe @ 11.9% 5mins
.5oz Simcoe @ 11.9% 0mins
Dryhop 1oz Simcoe 7 days before keg/bottle
Yeast: US-05

This isn't your typical IPA with a retarded amount of harsh bitterness. Because of the late hop additions, the bitterness is much more mellow and much more of the aroma and flavor is kept. Next time I do this I might do a first wort hop as well.

Brewed it! Turned out great! Mellow with a nice grapefruit bite.

This is in the works today. Homebrew store didn't have the ingredients for another recipe, so I combed the forums and decided on this one.

I split the mash into 2 stovetop kettles and used up 7g of water between mash and sparge. I'll stretch out the boil to 80-90 min to try and boil some off.

image-1442467169.jpg

Ok, i apparently boiled too much off because i came in at a little under 4 gal in the fermenter.

OG 1.056 - what's target for this recipe?

FG was 1.020. After 2 weeks in the bottle, and under 24 hrs chilling, it's crazy carbonated. Fantastic aroma, needs a little more body. Will it gain any after a few more weeks?

I'll make it again but maybe up the grain bill some.

image-1046936145.jpg

I opened a bottle today and foam shot up about 5 inches from the bottle.

Someone tell me if this is my mistake.... as I mentioned above I ended up with just 4 gallons in the carboy because I boiled for longer. I did not top off b/c my OG was 1.056 and didn't want to water it down more. But when it came time to bottle, I still diluted 5oz sugar in a cup of water.

Should I have done less than 5oz for 4 gallon batch? The beer does taste really dry and the carbonation is ridiculous.

I always make it a rule that my 5 gal. batches end up as 5.25 gals. in the fermenter. You'll lose some due to sediment come bottling time. Call it greed. You should have used less priming sugar. I used to use 4.5 oz sugar for 5 gals. You should have used about 3.6 oz priming sugar(boiled in 2 cups of water). Beware of "Bottle Bombs"! This could get messy and possibly dangerous. Keg your beer and you'll never look back. Try letting some co2 (foam) out and recap. Keep it clean to avoid infection. Good luck! We live and we learn!

I very much want a "grapefruity" IPA, but can not get Simcoe in my area. Can anyone recommend alternatives?

Brewed this on Saturday my O.G. Was 1.066 & I came up about a half gallon short in my primary,I think due to all the hop additions but maybe not. Any ideas?

Brewed this last week and the only thing I tweaked was amount of hops added. I had old hops so upped the additions. I also used 1056 with a starter. Smells fantastic in the fermenter. Missed the target og so I guess you could call this a session ipa....I'll let you know how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back