Should my wine be pink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altubury

Reaction score
Made some grape and plum wine. It's my first ever batch. It's pink not red as I expected sitting in the demijohns.

Any one got any suggestions?

I used 1/3 wine grape from my allotment, 1/3 Grape from the market, 1/3 plum from the market.

Didn't use any sulphites except in sterilising.

It's bubbling away in demijohns so is still alive :)

When my buddy made his 1st kit it was a zinf. When transfering from primary to secondary his was also very pink(lol looked like pepto bismol), after aging and clarifying the bright pinkness went away.

I wouldn't worry about it being pink, I've had cyser that came out such a dark brown, it actually looked red when light shined through it. I'm guessing you added water, if so, I'd say that's why it's pink instead of red. Posting the recipe/proces will give us much more info to go on, that way it makes it easier to help.
Regards, GF.

Ok I followed a dubious online recipe for "simple" wine.

It was as follows:

5kg fruit
5kg sugar
4 gallons water
Wine yeast 1 satchet/gallon

Ferment one week in a 5gallon bucket then into demijohns for one month then bottle.

The wine tastes great even at this stage. But it's pink :)

I am pretty sure I should have come here first as this is my first ever go! I used some amazing grapes that I grew at my allotment but made up the rest with grapes that I bought that weren't wine grapes. And I threw in plums for good measure. I didn't know there was a difference between wine grapes and other eating varieties.

I welcome any advice and any suggestions. I'm already enjoying this an have an ale kit on the go while I'm waiting for my wine.

Thank you or your help :)

image-1443248479.jpg

Other than adding some yeast nutrient/energizer, I think you should just put it in a cool, dark place & let the yeast do their thing. FYI: if you do decide to add some yeast nutrient, be sure to mix it with some boiled & cooled water before adding to the must. Adding a dry powder to a running fermentation can make it foam all over, very messy.

If you'd like some proven recipes, have a look here:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request.asp
Just scroll down for LOTS of recipes.

You can always have a look in the HBT recipe database too:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/

Won't be long till you're buying more fruit & more equipment to make more wine/mead/cider, etc...
Regards, GF.

My plum and raisin wine looked similar at that stage. From your recipe, I think you will end with a "light" wine because the ratio of water to fruit is high. Don't worry, it should turn out well. Next time if you want a "heavier" style try one of the recipes GF mentioned. Some say they use almost 100% plum juice, but I've never tried this. If you ferment your must to dryness, the wine may have a "harsh" taste, but this will mellow out with age. However, your batch is only 1/3 plum so it may develop differently.

I fermented with skins on the grapes and plums. It's all starting toile sense now.

Does anyone know where I can get wine grapes in uk? London :)

Back