Troegs Splinter Black

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theo1069

Reaction score
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/694/62792

So I successfully harvested some yeast from one of these but I can't for the life of me find what the hell kind of yeast it uses. So I have a bunch of yeast I don't know what to do with. I do know that it is aged in wood and refermented in the bottle, but not sure if they add new yeast at bottling or if it is the original yeast from fermentation. Thinking about using it for a sweet stout, but hesitant about throwing into 10 gallons of wort without knowing what it is. Does anyone know anything about this beer or have any advice?

Is it rude to call a brewery and ask? I feel kinda like I stole their yeast.

I wonder if it's a champagne yeast just used for bottling.....

I have a bottle in my fridge. Tell you want if you want to meet up I can grab the yeast and put it on a plate sometime. I'm a biotech student at Harrisburg U and have access to lab whenever I need basically. I'm actually sitting at school waiting for some media to finish in the autoclave to do some internship work at ABC. Anyhow, if I plate the yeast I can do a couple slide preps with that and get a little bit of an idea. Make sure the culture isn't contaminated with Brett or anything with it coming out of a barrel.

Beyond my abilities you can stop by the brewery and have casual conversation. At the end of the day the brewers usually come out and have a beer.

Thanks for the offer! If I can't dig up what it is I may take you up on it.... I am really suspecting that it is yeast added for bottling, and wasn't even going to try to harvest it, but I was making a starter for another yeast anyway and figured what the hell....

I strongly suspect it's a strain added at bottling. I don't know how long this stuff aged but most of the primary yeast was probably dead or unhealthy. Plus at 11%abv bottled it'd have to be a hearty strain.

Back