Looking for a Belgian beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vitoma

Reaction score
My sister had a really good Belgian beer, unfortunately, she doesn't remember the name of it.

She described it as a hoppy wheat beer. It is supposed to be brewed by monks and have a white label with green writing. The bottle was described to me as having "a really long neck".

Does anyone have an idea which beer she might be referring to? I'd like to try to make a clone of it for her.

So the beers that are actually brewed by monks are known as "Trappist" and there are only 8 of those - 6 in Belgium. None make a wheat beer that I know of or are particularly hoppy. The closest bottle I can think of is Rochefort 8, which has a white label with some green. I would google image search for the Trappist bottles, then if you don't turn up anything there, try "Abbey" ales.

It is possible that the beer she is referring to isn't actually a wheat beer - she has been incorrect about that before by relying on hints of flavors in the beer that reflect typical wheat beer flavors.

I might just have to take the time to acquaint myself better with Belgian beers, which is something I have been putting off due to the additional work required to reuse the corked bottles.

Yeah. The label seems off to me. It might have been one of the newer 750ml bottles of Maredsous wrapped in paper, but the label sounds most like Rochefort 8 to me, although 8 is a dubbel and nothing like a wheat beer.

But the "really long neck" thing really stands out as something like Rochefort, Orval, and Westmalle.

And I hope she didn't mean Stella.

Back