corn sugar vs cane sugar for apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socalamcor

Reaction score
this will be my first apfelwein
the recipe calls for dextrose but that is proving to be hard to find in local stores. can this be substituted with granulated cane sugar or should i go ahead and do a bit more searching for the corn sugar

Its worth the trip to the LHBS to follow Ed's recipe. Try it that way first then play around with it if you think it needs it.

and yet another question. my lhbs is incredibly short on some dry yeasts. recipe calls for montrachet. what i have availeble is lalvin: k1-v1116, ec-1118 red star: premier cuvee, and pasteur champagne. will one of these be a nice compensation for the lack of montrachet

Corn Sugar (dextrose) dissolves very easily. My recipe calls for pouring 1/2 of a gallon jug of juice in the carboy, then cutting open the 1 lb. bag of corn sugar and pouring it into the jug and recapping it and shaking it. The whole pound dissolves in less than a minute.

Cane sugar will take much longer to dissolve, plus it has the other problems mentioned in posts above.

and yet another question. my lhbs is incredibly short on some dry yeasts. recipe calls for montrachet. what i have availeble is lalvin: k1-v1116, ec-1118 red star: premier cuvee, and pasteur champagne. will one of these be a nice compensation for the lack of montrachet

have you considered ordering offline? Its not going to be Edworts recipe if you use another yeast.

I use just regular table sugar. From what I heard/read about cane it just takes the yeast longer to ferment it because it has to be inverted to an form of sugar that is easier to break down. Granted mine hasn't stopped fermenting yet, but so far it tastes good!

table sugar is cane sugar....? As for the online stuff- i wait until i need enough stuff to warrent paying shipping and then its on. Plus AHB has some good sales every once in a while and it deffinitly pays off. My LHBS shafts me on the prices so i dont have a problem going elsewhere when i can

ya usualy around 7-8$ for shipping. i bit the bullet and ordered several of each i dont have at the moment. unfortunately ive only one lhbs in my area that i know of

AHB seems to be higher priced than some of the others ive found. for yeast i like to go to ebrew.com everything else i generaly go through nashwood or bruhaus.
i just hate having to actualy wait for stuff to come through the mail

Back