Rosemary in my Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulive

Reaction score
I'm thinking of trying it. I was some pineyness added to my recipe. I'm assuming Rosemary would add this. I have no idea how much I would use though. Any thoughts?

I love Rosemary. It's pretty strong, but who knows how well the flavors are extracted.

Are you thinking about doing it in the boil, primary or secondary?

I've seen people who infuse olive oil with Rosemary use like a 1 to 4 ratio of Rosemary and Olive Oil, but that's probably a stronger flavor that you are looking for.

I love Rosemary. It's pretty strong, but who knows how well the flavors are extracted.

Are you thinking about doing it in the boil, primary or secondary?

I've seen people who infuse olive oil with Rosemary use like a 1 to 4 ratio of Rosemary and Olive Oil, but that's probably a stronger flavor that you are looking for.

I guess I was thinking of adding it to the boil. I could also make some tea from it and add that to the keg. Still not sure about the amount though...

Saison's not really meant to be a kitchen-sink type of beer. You wanna put rosemary in something, make a porter along the lines of Papazian's Goat Scrotum. This is just my personal opinion, so take it for what you will, but I think rosemary would ruin a saison.

Saison's not really meant to be a kitchen-sink type of beer. You wanna put rosemary in something, make a porter along the lines of Papazian's Goat Scrotum. This is just my personal opinion, so take it for what you will, but I think rosemary would ruin a saison.

Rosemary would be the only flavoring addition. I don't use anything else in my Saisons, as I like the yeast to shine. I just wanted to try something different, other than corriander, orange peel, or peppercorns...

Rosemary would be the only flavoring addition. I don't use anything else in my Saisons, as I like the yeast to shine. I just wanted to try something different, other than corriander, orange peel, or peppercorns...

grains of paradise, perhaps?

I've got some lemon Basil growing like nuts in the garden that I'm dying to incorporate (maybe into a honey wheat or something) and then there's my post just now about using spruce tips. Maybe I've been ready too much Randy Mosher lately.

I've got some lemon Basil growing like nuts in the garden that I'm dying to incorporate (maybe into a honey wheat or something) and then there's my post just now about using spruce tips. Maybe I've been ready too much Randy Mosher lately.

I've been rethinking the Saison. I'll probably use Grains of Paradise and some Lemon Thyme we have growing...

Back