Barley Crusher Hopper Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to buy a Barley Crusher and can't find any opinions on the hopper size. Trying to be as cheap as possible, so wanted to know if the 7lb hopper is that much of a disadvantage? Do the grains tend to fly out if the hopper is topped off or do they just get sucked right through? Anyone buy the 7lb and have regrets?

I have a 7lb. hopper on my new one that's been used once. I didn't mind filling it twice for the whole crush.

For the future I plan on just making an extension that simply sits on top of the existing hopper, either with cardboard or wood. Should be easy to do.

I just bought the 7# hopper, and I'm fine with it. The grains don't go flying, they don't dance around at all until you're WAY at the bottom. The 7# hopper just means that you have to re-fill the hopper halfway through, not a big deal as far as I'm concerned (might be more of a PITA if I was doing 10-gallon batches).

At some point, I might cob up an extension to the hopper; it would be pretty simple to do with basic woodworking skills. For now, it's money well saved to go with just the small hopper.

It's an EXCELLENT crusher, BTW.

I typically do 10 gal batches, so even if I got the 14lb BC, I would still need to refill. So with the 7lb BC, I have to refill 3 times instead of 2, not a big deal at all.

I opted for the larger bin.

I can get 12-13 pounds in with no problems. It was just my choice at the time.

One thing I wanted to consider is that I crush and brew indoors so the fewer times I had to dump grains into a holding bin the less grain dust I would have to deal with.

I'll measure grains into a 5-gallon pale, then drape a towel over the bucket and the crusher as I pour the grains in. The prevents any grain dust from floating around.

Crusher_2.jpg

Crusher_3.jpg

I went with the larger one as well, the price difference to double the capacity is quite reasonable.

I just bought a 15# hopper BC. I should have it sometime next week. I can't wait! I think the price difference is worth the 15# hopper. It'll probably be the only mill you every buy so I say go for the biggie!

Thanks for the input. Just ordered the 7lb crusher. It doesn’t look as though it would be too hard to fashion something to increase the hopper size if it is necessary. My efficiency from store milled grains has been terrible. Hoping that this will help. The plan is to brew the exact same recipe from a week and a half ago and compare.

Feeling a little guilty about this because I’m usually a DIY guy and have the machine shop to make my own. The trouble is that the material alone for one of these is not cheap and if you figure in machine time to make only one assembly (when I could be doing paying work) it became an easy choice. Beside that, why re-invent the wheel when everyone here says how well this one works. (End of guilt driven whining.)

Brewt00l wrote:
Sergeantsville isn't too far from me...if you want to try before you buy, let me know.
Thanks for the offer. You are pretty close. May be someday we could swap homebrews.

AnOldUR said:
Thanks for the offer. You are pretty close. May be someday we could swap homebrews.
[/SIZE]

Anytime..just hit me up with a PM. We could get a few of us Phila region guys together sometime too.

Edit: BTW, dunno if you are aware but Keystone is doing a group brew this weekend:

The Montgomervylle event will be held in the parking lot behind the store, and in Bethlehem at the Becker family farm. These events will take place rain or shine.

If you would like to participate, remember:
1. You must provide your own brewing equipment,
including a propane burner.

2. Please register for this event if you’re brewing. You can
call the store or send us an e-mail any time between now
and Tuesday, April 29.

3. All brewers should plan on picking up their ingredients
at least a day before the brew.

4. You can start setting up as early as you like in
Montgomeryville, and as early as 8:30 A.M. in Bethlehem.

5. Montgomeryville: The store will open at 9 A.M. on the
day of Big Brew.

6. All-grain brewers must mash in by 10 A.M. in
Montgomeryville and 9:30 A.M. in Bethlehem

Back