star san in keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoSeR

Reaction score
Is there any problem with leaving star san in an empty keg for a few weeks.
Does it harm stainless in any way.
I also pushed some through my taps and beer line, I'm hoping there is no problem with leaving residue in there for a week or so.

Many of us here have left Star San in kegs with no problems at all!

I have one keg that's been holding Star San for about a month. I'll crack it open and look for any damage. I'm not worried it'll be a problem (SS gets used all the time to hold nastier things than Star San), but if it is - well, I used the most beat-up keg!

I keep a keg full of Star San at all times. I mix up about 1 batch per 4 months and have never had a problem. Straight from the manufacture it is safe for SS.

Drunkensatyr said:
I keep a keg full of Star San at all times. I mix up about 1 batch per 4 months and have never had a problem. Straight from the manufacture it is safe for SS.

Do you check the pH? My theory was that being relatively temperature controlled (in the basement) and not exposed to light, it would stay viable for a much longer period of time than in a bucket or even in a spreay bottle.

I mixed up a 5 gallon batch at the first of September with Ro water in a plastic water jug. pH last week was around 2.

Not to be the 'search police', but this did just come up a week ago:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=46813

Dude said:
Not recommended. It is an acid, which WILL affect SS.
I would have thought so too, but apparently not... Straight from the horse's mouth:
http://www.realbeer.com/discussions/showthread.php?pagenumber=2&perpage=15&threadid=10932
Charles Talley said:
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]Star San is based on phosphoric acid, being an acid is is very friendly to s/s.[/FONT]

I have been storing starsan in a keg for many months and there are zero signs of any sort of trouble.

I keep a keg full of Star San around all the time. It's great being able to dispense a little sanitizer for use around the brewery. Whenever I clean kegs, I push star san from keg to keg with CO2 to sanitize and purge the keg at the same time. Also this way I usually don't leave it in the same keg for more than 3-4 weeks. I've been doing this for years and inspection of my kegs (check them every time I clean) shows no problem with corrosion.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company

I had a similar question about star-san last week. Cn't remember who put up the link but after listening to the podcast (quite lenghty) with the inventor and producer of star- san I have NO!!! mor concerns about anthing to do with star san. It was very enlightening.

Phosphoric acid is the same acid that is found in soda...which is what Corny kegs were (originally) used for.

Back