Sulphur Lager After Bottleing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewingME

Reaction score
I've read plenty about sulphur tones in lagers during primary fermentation or during the secondary but I've got an intolerable sulphur smell and flavor now that I've bottle conditioned. The beer had the below temperature schedule.

3 days @ 70 deg F - until CO2 production was apparent
24 days @ 50 deg F
5 day @ 65 deg F - forgetfully long diecetyl rest
30 days @ 36 deg F - after racking
2 day warm up to 70 for bottling
75 days @ 70 deg F - in bottles in my cabinet

The sulphur flavor is so strong this 4.75 gallons of bottled beer is destine for the drain if I can't get some advice on how I might save it. I used a smack pack of America Lager Wyeast 2035 and bottle conditioned with corn sugar.

Any confident theories?

3 days at 70 degrees seems like way too high and for way too long. I'd just pitch at 50 and let it go from there. You said that you used "a smack pack of American Lager Wyeast 2035". Should we assume that you didn't make a yeast starter? How about Oxygen? Anyway, I could be wrong but I do not know a way of getting rid of this off flavor...

It was a partial mash so I there was plenty of mixing as I poured the 2 gallons of wort onto 2 gallons of water so I'm not concerned with aeration. You're right that I didn't make a starter. I pitched the contents of the smack pack directly into the carboy.

Even so I still highly doubt that you made it to the 10-15ppm dissolved O2 that Lager beers should have. My guess is that the lack of O2, high fermentation temperatures & low cell count (not making a starter) contributed to this off flavor and I doubt it will go away.

I think the only way to rid the beer of the sulfur flavor/aroma is to let it vent...but you've already bottled so I'm not sure what I can suggest. Did you taste it prior to bottling? I once made an oatmeal stout with a Munich lager yeast. I tasted it prior to bottling and it tasted like a burnt match so I let it sit for another 30 days at 37 degrees. Tasted again and the burnt match aroma and flavor were still there, but was fading. 30 more days and it turned out to be phenominal.

Latest posts

Back