Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's pretty much how things went this morning, but between my lack of experience with the blade and maybe some windburn from being outside with the wood splitter all day yesterday, my face is jacked up right now. It's tender to the touch and there's some redness. I think I'll try a shave oil or something in addition to just the Proraso. I used a bit of shave soap with it, but not enough I guess.

I saw a mix of baby oil and olive oil as a pre-shave oil.

Put a coupl to few drops of Olive Oil in the scuttle with the cream and work up a lkather as usual. Works great and no oily feeling after.

GilaMinumBeer said:
Put a coupl to few drops of Olive Oil in the scuttle with the cream and work up a lkather as usual. Works great and no oily feeling after.

Trying it tomorrow. Any suggestion for a lotion or something to help heal the razor burn until I get this right? I'm going to focus more on the blade angle on the next shave.

I used a CO Bigelow aftershave balm right after rinsing and the Nivea stuff pictured throughout the day.

image-1391879027.jpg

The nivea aftershave is great, actually. I use the one for sensitive skin.

Start using Witch hazel every day, I find it to be great for razor burn and nicks.

I also second the olive oil in the shave scuttle, I use 4-6 drops, sometimes I put the oil in my hand and massage into my beard, then lather in the bowl, apply and shave as usual.

The nivea aftershave is great, actually. I use the one for sensitive skin.
Same, I've been using that stuff forever. Through rough shaves with disposables in the military to electrics and now with straights. It does a great job cooling my skin down after and I notice a big difference in how my skin feels between using it and not using it.

I find the first shave with a new blade is sorta rough, then the next ones are much smoother.

It's like the first shave knocks the burrs off the blade, so the second shave starts with a broken in blade maybe??

Any one else notice that here?

I actually get my best shaves from a brand new razor.

I have a shaving soap I'd like to try, but the consistency is really firm. How do you get it into the brush to build lather?

Check out some of matics videos on youtube. Sorry but I can't get on there at work to get you a link.

I was using the Nivea Sensitive Skin then found I liked the subtle burn of the revitalizing better... but I went to Wallyworld last night to get some more and didn't see it but they had newer stuff, Artic Blast? and I didn't want to try it.

If I rough my neck up- only place I get razor burn I use some of the nice nivea lotion right ater the balm and then later in the morning if its still burning- all depends on which chef coat I'm wearing and how much I'm sweating...

CHefJohnboyardee said:
I was using the Nivea Sensitive Skin then found I liked the subtle burn of the revitalizing better... but I went to Wallyworld last night to get some more and didn't see it but they had newer stuff, Artic Blast? and I didn't want to try it.

If I rough my neck up- only place I get razor burn I use some of the nice nivea lotion right ater the balm and then later in the morning if its still burning- all depends on which chef coat I'm wearing and how much I'm sweating...

Either way, an aftershave lotion that moisturizes (and I don't know about the Revitalizing, but the Sensitive Skin version soothes very well) makes so much more sense than splashing a typical liquid one on your face. Switching to the Nivea aftershave was like a revelation for me. And I think there are like 6 or 7 different versions of the stuff if you're very particular about what you want out of it.

Trying it tomorrow. Any suggestion for a lotion or something to help heal the razor burn until I get this right? I'm going to focus more on the blade angle on the next shave.

I used a CO Bigelow aftershave balm right after rinsing and the Nivea stuff pictured throughout the day.

Start using Witch hazel every day, I find it to be great for razor burn and nicks.

I also second the olive oil in the shave scuttle, I use 4-6 drops, sometimes I put the oil in my hand and massage into my beard, then lather in the bowl, apply and shave as usual.

This.

I used to get crazy burn and pimples. Switched to DE and WH and have yet to have a red faced shave or breakouts.

I have a shaving soap I'd like to try, but the consistency is really firm. How do you get it into the brush to build lather?

How do you like it? I was looking at this in a catalog the other day, does it smell nice? soothing or more of a burn when applied after shaving?

I love it, smells citrusy and doesn't burn, it's soothing. The best part is the smell fades in about 10 minutes so it doesn't clash with colognes etc. the other thing I use is Jason 6 in 1, that stuff is amazing! It's cheap, all natural and will soothe a sunburn instantly. So for problem razor burn it works wonders.

Billy

jtkratzer said:
Once a week satisfies the Corps for my head. Cant help but love and want to fall asleep when she's lathering hot shaving cream on my head and neck for the shave.

So the puck just stays in the mug/bowl and when you're done, rinse the lather off the puck and inside of the mug? Interesting...maybe I'll try that tomorrow.

Practically glued in at this point.

image-2404538629.jpg

jtkratzer said:
I don't know what the TKT is, but I'm strictly talking about a razor.

Just joking with you. TKT is Thread Killer Thread. It's a perfect waste of time and a bit raucous at times.

So I've been following this thread for a little while now and was really interested in reading up on it...until I got to the couple of posts talking about cleanup. I don't have a lot of room in my bathroom for brushes and razors and stuff, and I don't think I'll be interested if there is extensive cleanup. I've come up with a solution that may kill two birds with one stone, but I wanted to run it by all here and get some feedback. If I built a small shelf in my shower to hang over the shower edge and keep my razor, bowl and brush there, would it be easier to clean and provide a decent storage place for the razor or would I get rust and build up on the razor and blade and have a bad brush really quickly?

haven't been able to read through the whole thread, I don't think I'll ever be able to so I'll start from here.

Just ordered myself a horse hair brush from bestshave.net, and a wilkinson sword to start off my wet shaving adventure. Looks to be very promising!

Razor angle. Razor angle. Razor angle. And don't put pressure on the razor. Starting to figure that out.

Way fewer nicks and fewer pints of blood. My skin is still recovering from the wind and sunburn from Monday and yesterday's razor burn, but feeling much better today.

I smeared a bit of olive oil and a couple drops of baby oil on my face before the first lather.

Just like when one is wrenching on something in the garage, I figured tunes couldn't hurt either.

The open comb was a style of razor with the teeth, it was thought that it would help stand the hairs up prior to cutting, it doesnt really do a whole lot in reality, or at least thats what I have found from personal experience.

I found this explanation on another shave forum:

"The quality of your shave is going to be based on geometry: the angle at which the blade is bent inside the razor head, the angle & curve of the upper cap, the length, position, and angle of the comb area, among others.

Whether the comb area is solid or toothed does contribute a little to a different feel on your face, but all those geometry issues are the same regardless.

The Gillette NEW is not a good design because of the open comb; it's a good design because they got the head geometry right. If you made a closed-comb version but with the same contours, it would shave essentially the same.

Some closed-comb razors can be ridiculously aggressive (Vision, Futur, others); some closed-comb razors can be ridiculously mild (late-model Techs) - the same applies to open comb, though there are fewer models to compare because they're not as easy to make."

I have seen the new flavor of the week current razor offering has a little comb on it to stand the hairs up. Woo, now thats a great new idea that doesn't really do anything!!

Yes tis sexy, but the spirally gnurling usually is and commands a higher price...

As to clean up compared to a cartridge razor, you just need to rinse out your brush and bowl. My brushes get stored flat side down with the hair sticking up in the bowl and the razor goes right beside it. No fancy stand for me.

As long as you don't start 'collecting' or trying a lot of different soaps, brushes, razors, aftershaves, whatever things won't take up much space.

Anyone see anything they like. I might try to work a quantity angle on the guy. AZ gets first bid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are the Dubls the matched yellow ones at 5 seconds? if yes could you get more info on them? I am also interested in the Bartmann at 30 seconds.

One last question, is the razor at 21 seconds (on top of a box labeled "razor magnetized") does that have bone scales or are they plastic?

As long as there is no bad pitting, rust or cracks/chips in the blades I could be down for one or two of them. depending on which Dubl Duck model they are it may be worth jumping on them, some are worth quite a lot of money in good shape.

The 2 together at the beginning are not the Dubls. The logos on the scales have "hand forged" below some other text I can't remember or make out.

I don't recall any white bone scales.

The Dubls are plain yellow Bresbeck with no logos. One is atop a box the other is perpendicular to it.

I am still learning what is what. The ducks are $30. The others in good shape are $25. All the others in less than good shape are $15-20 or even less. There could be a gem in there for $12. I simply am not versed in this area.

azscoob said:
Aah, there is one sideways just in camera view at the very beginning, and one at the end next to a black one by the Bartmann?

Yes. Let me get into wifi striking distance and I'll upload a higher quality version.

I saw last night there are recommendations to only shave with the grain, one or two passes, for up to three weeks before going across or against the grain. Oops.

I did all three on my first 4-5 shaves. Maybe that's why my skin on my face was so pissed off at me. Yesterday and today I went easier and tried less for the BBS feel. Skin's looking and feeling better. I'll give it some more time to adjust.

Back