Portable Keg Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMe21

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm not sure if it has been done like this before but I though I would post up a pic and see what you think.

The story behind it:
My softball team gets together before games and we enjoy some good homebrew. I was originally using the cheapo plastic picnic tap and bring my 10lb co2 tank, along with the keg parka and ice packs, but this setup was bulky and the picnic tap would often drip on the floor so the keg would be kept outside. I wanted to make a setup that looked nice, was (more) portable, and did not make a mess

I had an extra tap tower and drip tray laying around, I picked up a 2.5lb co2 tank & reg. (hanging from the back), some wood, a couple clamps.....And this is how it turned out: (I have since painted the wood black to seal it and make it blend better)

keg_sleeve.jpg

Nice setup Hammy21! Do you run 2 cornies in there?

Drumming102 I will see if I can get some more pics up.

Boodlemania: I tried to give as many details as possible, Ask away

Hammy, did you build that dual burner rig or buy that from somewhere?

I only put one keg in the cooler. Might fit 2, but I've never tried. The stand is an old 55 gallon cast iron aquarium stand. They work great and are a cheap yardsale find. That picture was from last summer and I've since rebuilt the whole rig. Used the stand but now it's....

new set up.jpg

Cpt_Kirks: that does the job, and I will save the joke :cross:

nice, i like it.
it looks neat and clean.

i did something similar - the top half comes off the keg cabinet:

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/1/medium/p8250039-handle.jpg

you gonna make a tiny baseball bat for the tap handle?

Thanks for the compliments.

I like the woodworking, Did you do it yourself?

I would like to do a baseball bat for the handle but I haven't gotten around to it. I'm thinking about modifying one of those mini bats that you can buy at mlb games.

Sanch: The drip tray is sitting on a piece of wood that I traced out so it would cover the top of the cornie and also support the drip tray. Then I mounted the tap tower so it is above the beer line. The wood piece is secured to the keg with two clamps on the back side (orange handles) The gas line is hooked up and runs under the top to the back where a 2.5lb co2 tank hangs from the corny's handles.

thanks, yes, i built it. better pic on my profile page. birch,cherry,cocbolo.

hey have you ever seen those little 'dollies' that they use to wheel small oxygen tanks around?
I think you should rig one up for your rig, then just put a straw inside the facemask! cops wouldn't bother you! :D

I would like to say that this is pretty awesome. I did one similar to Hammy's (although not as purdy looking) and it only fits one corny (its the 60 qt cube not 70). While it is nice to take to a tailgate or somewhere it might sit for a while where you need the extra cooling capacity, it is a bit cumbersome to lug around to places. I can see your setup getting used more in the "hey we should bring some beer", type of situation.

I am also working on a 2-3 corny trashcan-erator that is going to be awesome though.

I was at Big Lots today and saw this, and thought of this thread. I didnt take measurements but it looks like the cart will accommodate a corny perfectly.

EDIT: It was 30 bucks BTW.

CIMG0012.jpg

I was at Big Lots today and saw this, and thought of this thread. I didnt take measurements but it looks like the cart will accommodate a corny perfectly.

EDIT: It was 30 bucks BTW.

That is a great idea! A full cornie can be a bit awkward to carry around.

Back