Keeping Keg outside of a fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston85

Reaction score
So I purchased 2- 5 gallon corny kegs, but do not yet have a fridge to keep them in with beer.... I do however have a back enclosed indoor porch which probably has a max temp of 45-50 degrees this time of year (Winter in New England), but most of the time I would venture that it is in the low to mid 30s in there...

Is there any risk with putting an IPA that is just about ready to be bottled/kegged in the keg and keeping it on this porch? I would rather keep it in the fridge, but there is just no room. I just want to make sure that temperatures around 40 degrees or so are fine to keep it in. Do you think there will be any issues with that?

Should be totally fine. Most fridges are from 38-42 degrees so you'll be fine. Just make sure it doesn't get a lot colder and freeze. Good way to cold crash it before you put it in the fridge to serve.

Back