Partial Mash Citra Amarillo IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
Put this together over the last few days and wanted to see what advice I could get on this recipe.

Mash for 60 minutes at 155F in 5.5qts. Sparge with 2 quarts 170F
3.5lb Pale 2-Row
0.75lb Munich Malt
0.25 Caramel 60L

Add water that I will have already boiling on the side (save time) to fill up to 4 gallon mark and start boil. I will be adding all the extract later

1oz Northern Brewer (60min) - A clean bittering hop.
1oz Citra (20min)
6.6 Pale Liquid Extract (15min)
1oz Amraillo (15min)
1oz Citra (10min)
1oz Amraillo (5min)

Wyeast 1056

Dry Hopping: After 2-3 weeks in primary, I will rack to secondary and do two drop hop additions of 0.75oz Amarillo and 0.75oz Citra for 5 days, then for 5 days again (10 days total / 3 oz total)

Yields a 92IBU SG1.070 and a IBU/SG ratio of 1.3/1

Looking for something in the Pliny vein with the heavier dry hopping and high but clean bitterness.

Would love to hear some input if you dont mind helping.

the Citra/Amarillo combination will be great. I have already brewed quite a few different combo's with these two for my double ipa. enjoy!

well i get 68 IBU's, not 92. maybe im missing something. I'm sure it will still be great.

You are likely not factoring in the late addition of the extract. If you just add the extract at the start, 68 seems like you are right. But, as mentioned in the recipe, the extract is added as a late addition.

I am also thinking of going with a less neutral yeast like a British Ale by Wyeast that will give me a dry, fruity finish. Tart and crisp.

Back