2007 Raleigh Beer Fest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the day after. April 29th. In the late morning while you are hung over and debating whether to pee again or sleep it off, know that I will be running my first marathon from Big Sir to Carmel, CA.

www.BSIM.org

Party like you weren't me.

Wish Kaiser could make it. I remember drinking dopple-pepsi when I first met you guys (minus Boston, he was too stuck-up back then). That Dopple-pepsi was a freaking awesome beer. And then many more great ones right after that. :)

Dude said:
Wish Kaiser could make it. I remember drinking dopple-pepsi when I first met you guys (minus Boston, he was too stuck-up back then). That Dopple-pepsi was a freaking awesome beer. And then many more great ones right after that. :)

You should fly up and visit your buddy Kai in March.

I'll be there to get way too drunk and embarrass myself once again. By the way, that link is to last year's festival.

todd_k said:
I'll be there to get way too drunk and embarrass myself once again. By the way, that link is to last year's festival.
No, I think that it says 2006 by mistake. 4-28 is a Saturday.

todd_k said:

Yeah, too bad you had to go back to your hotel at 5 PM you big weenie. :D

Dude said:

I haven't said that I can't make it ;)
I'll have to see if we can fit in a trip to NC around that festival. I don't think I will have a problem convincing the wife since she misses her friends she had down there :)

Kai

I'll mark the date on my calendar.

What kind of post-festival are you guys thinking?

It's REALLY too bad the evening sessions are a less mature crowd. We could do a brewery tour in Holly Springs in the afternoon and then hit the festival afterward.

-walker

We need volunteers to host the after-party and a couple of designated drivers.

BOSTONBREWIN' said:
We need volunteers to host the after-party and a couple of designated drivers.

I can probably host and drive to/from the festival. However, if we come back to my place after the festival.... I will get drunk and won't be driving anyone back to hotels or houses at midnight. :D

I'll run the after party past SWMBO. We've got a couple of small kids here, but things stayed relatively calm at BOSTON's after the Oct festival, so I expect we would not be disturbing the little ones too much.

-walker

Just a heads up to those coming down for the festival and planning to bring homebrew with them....

The April beer fesival is just over 10 weeks away. Plan your brew dates accordingly.

I should have Holy Grail peaking and a fresh-off-the-dryhops batch of Kaduva ready for April 28th. I'll probably push out another batch in addition to those two, because the Kaduva doesn't need to be brewed until the latter half of March.

edit: The afterparty is at my place. SWMBO is taking the DD duties. She might not actually go to the festival, but is willing to drop-off and pick-up some people.

-walker

Oh no! I think my in-laws will be in town during this festival. Either that or this is the day they're leaving. Either way, I probably can't make it now.

Baron von BeeGee said:
:confused: I would have thought either way you'd definitely be here?? :drunk:

I talked to SWMBO and the in-laws should be gone by the 27th or the 28th so now it looks like we can make it. The in-laws would love the festival but they have to drive back to VT.

Brewiz said:
My brew partner and I are planning on riding the Harley's up for it. Any good hotels near the brewfest???

Do you want a room close to the actual brew fest (Downtown Raleigh) or close to the raucous after-party @ Walker's (Cary, NC)?

I would love to be close to the after party but it might be better to be within walking distance of the brew fest....

Brewiz said:
I would love to be close to the after party but it might be better to be within walking distance of the brew fest....

Why is that?

Are you planning on doing both sessions or something?

EDIT: The after party is where its at. ;)

Can we discuss.....?

**Afternoon session? (12-4)?
**After-party @ Walker's?
**Brewing on Sunday @ Walker's or is that too much?
**2 minivans w/ 2 Designated Driver's?

Boston said:
Can we discuss.....?

Afternoon session, def.
after party is up to you guys...
I'm up to brewing...
I don't have a van, but I'll drive if we can't find anyone else!

Boston said:
Definately.

Boston said:
Definately.

Boston said:
It's a go. I already discussed it with SWMBO. I'll be brewing, Dude will be brewing. Boston? You going to sleep on the couch all day or brew? :D
Boston said:
SWMBO is pregnant, so that takes care of one van and one DD.

-walker

Walker-san said:
It's a go. I already discussed it with SWMBO. I'll be brewing, Dude will be brewing. Boston? You going to sleep on the couch all day or brew? :D

-walker

I think we should try to break the kettle record (4). We could possibly have (6) kettles if Todd & Dude brew. That would certainly be a sight.

Boston said:
I think we should try to break the kettle record (4). We could possibly have (6) kettles if Todd & Dude brew. That would certainly be a sight.

I would have to be back in Richmond by 6:00pm on Sunday to pick up the dog from the kennel. I dunno if we'd be done brewing by 3:00pm. I know last time I wasn't moving too fast that next morning. :drunk:

I'll get a VIP ticket if everyone else wants to. Free food, pint glass, no waiting in line to get in or for the bathroom, sounds worth it to me!

Damn, when it rains, it pours....

Right at the beginning of festival season....The weekend before is Shakori Hills http://www.shakorihills.org/ , and SWMBO is extremely unlikely to get two weekends off in a row (especially after taking 4 days off).....plus, we'll be broke from participating in the all the festivities ;) Shakori was the first festival she ever went to, and now I've turned her into an addict.. (I'll never forget her reaction to the whole festival scene thing - saw Del McCoury Band, and Sam Bush - I wouldn't trade that for the world).

Sucks, cuz I haven't seen the guys from GUTA in a while - and it would be fun to hang out with them again.

If anyone can....come meet us at Shakori....we can figure out some way to meet there if you're interested (cell phone service out there sucks, so that won't be an option)....and it costs about the same as one day at the brew festival for a whole weekend of music in the woods with a bunch of freaks. I'll be the guy in the tie-dye =)).

Otherwise, we've got the whole summer to get together...

On another issue.....finally decided to make the jump to all-grain...looked around and decided that I could get 10 gallon coolers with the false bottom and plastic valves and stuff from Homebrew.com/homebrewadventures....had the whole setup with plastic valves, hose, and Phil's Phalse bottom for 159 bucks....damn, that's cheaper than i was able to find two 10 gallon coolers for......

Well, apparently, there's a shortage of those 10 gallon coolers.....placed my order on the 23rd, and no order confirmation until today....got anxious on Monday after no order confirmation, and when I looked on their website - the price had gone up 30 bucks for the setup (well, hell Northern Brewer has the same setup with stainless valves for 199)..let it slide, cuz I have this thing about supporting 'local' businesses, and liked the fact I can pay for ground with my orders with them and usually get one day shipping anyway....

Well, today(Wednesday), I get notice that the 10 gallon coolers are on back order...well, I'm not in that big a hurry, but am concerned that since my approximate receive date is xx/xx/xx, that I'm being blown off - hoping that I'll back off and order them later at the higher price. Asked me if I wanted to just get the part of the order that they have or wait for the whole thing....well, since all the beer kits I ordered are all grain - kinda useless for me to get the all-grain kits without the mash-lauter tun.

Given that past experience with Northern Brewers makes me feel like I would have had the system they offered already (with the stainless valves).....I'm not sure how to take this.....I would have at least expected a call like Monday or Tuesday if it was back-ordered (Northern Brewer called me on my last two orders the same day or next business day - just to tell me they got out a day late - actually, now that I think about it, NB has called me on every order that I've placed....I only went with them in the beginning because they are the HBD sponsors....I've liked the partial mash kits I've gotten from HBA - they've been top-notch, with extra grain/hop bags and quality all the way....I'm just concerned that after the merger, things have changed ). I"ve heard some of y'all comment on the 'green board' so I know you've dealt with them.....should I be worried, or do ya think they'll come through?

I don't want to make a stink, but I just want someone to reassure me that I'm not gonna spend the whole spring waiting for something just to save 30 bucks.......when I could have gotten better hardware yesterday, and paid a little more in shipping......

And, yes, before anybody flames me (stress tested Lord of the Rings Online all weekend, so I've had my share of Trolls....and orcs, and goblins, and other creepy crawlies this weekend...hehe) - yes I know that getting two 10 gallon Gotts with false bottom and valves for 159 bucks is a steal....that's why I jumped on it......but if you're gonna advertise a whole setup and it's not in stock - I expect to be told that when I add the item to my cart.......I've provided IT support to many of those inventory/supply websites for the past 10 years, and I know that it's not hard to make sure your current inventory is reflected on your order page - and if you drop-ship certain items, you let your customer know WHEN they place the order, not 5 days later.

Am I just being an *******? ;) It's OK to say so, I've tried so hard to be perfect at it ;) (dad always told me to be good at something).

Also, with all the scary stuff I've heard about the scarcity of (ball-lock) corny kegs....anybody got good experiences to share about acquiring those? Can't even peruse the back parking lots of the local fast food joints, since they've all gone to the baggy in a box or 200+ gallon syrup tanks ;) hehehehe

Well, hope to meet you Eastern NC area brew freeks soon....

Peace, love and free beer,

Chris (aka Hippiefreak)
http:/bt.etree.org/chorner

Back