Issues with bottling after fermentation, need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmeulmes

Reaction score
Hello All,

I was going to rack my beer from the glass carboy to bottles last night after secondary fermentation. This was an IPA so I was dry hopping. The auto-siphon couldn't pull the beer out after much time because the hops got stuck in the siphon. Next time, definitely going to use a bag to hold them, but too late for that now. Anyway...

So we made the decision to pour the beer into our bucket to seperate the hops from the beer and let the yeast settle out before trying to bottle again.

Here's my question, we already added the priming sugar to the bucket, in anticipation of bottling that night, but obviously we didn't do that. Are we going to need to add more sugar before bottling, because I assume the beer is going to start converting it to co2 already.

Thanks for your help!!

You can take the hop bag and wrap it around the end of the auto siphon. That will keep it from getting clogged. When did you pour the beer into the bucket with the sugar? I would prob just let it sit for another week and then try again with fresh sugar unless you did it quite recently. Otherwise your carbonation will be off.

I just poured it in the bucket last night. Any idea how long I would need to wait for the yeast to mostly settle to the bottom? And along with that time, how much more priming sugar would I need to add? Full load, half load...?

If the yeast are active they will eat up that sugar in a day or two. Then bottle with the normal amount of sugar. You can take a gravity reading to be sure.

Back