Keg Conditioning HopHead IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chromados

Reaction score
So here is the set up:

I brewed the beer and had it in the primary for 2 week, racked into the secondary for 2 weeks dry hopping, and am going to cold crash and then transfer it into the keg this weekend.

I want to force carb at about 25 psi. How long should i let it sit in the keg before i start to drink it? I know it should be carbed in about 2-3 days but does anyone have experience with IPA's, kegging, and tastes?

What are your thoughts?

Scott

First of all - Welcome to HBT!!!

I carbonate just about all my beers at 30 psi for 3 days. Then I turn down to serving pressure and let it sit for another day or so to get rid of carbonic bite. I like to drink IPA's fairly young so at 4 weeks (2 primary & 2 secondary) plus cold crashing and a few days in the keg I think it would definitely be ready to drink.

I am one who thinks that IPAs are often better young. I do a simple malt bill, and then lots of aroma and dryhops for an "in your face" hop flavor. That fades rather quickly, so I often will drink my IPAs younger than many of my other beers.

Actually, at this exact moment, I'm drinking an IPA that was brewed on September 2. Now that's young even for me, but it's darn good!

I tend to drink my IPA's and Pale Ales fresh as well, 1 week primary, 2 week secondary / dry hop, then 3-4 days at 30 psi until carbonated, finally to 5 PSI and have at it.

In the past I have let IPA's carbonate naturally for a few weeks before tapping, but I like the fresh citrusy hop flavor and I find that seems to be the best as fresh as possible. Some people like to let the flavors blend in so they let them age for a few weeks, do whatever tastes good to you.

Latest posts

Back