Natural gas burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bookem15

Reaction score
He title says it all I am looking for natural gas burner as I do not like the idea of using propane. I have a furnace for my garage so I have the gas line right there. I have search but it seems most if not all are for propane. Anyone have any ideas? Also I would like to buy a ready to use unit just hook it up and go.

Thanks

Tom

I've been very happy with the Blichmann Floor Burner (http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/blichmann-floor-burner.html).

Have 1/2" gas supply line in my garage as well, going to the water heater. Put a T off of that (where the sediment trap used to be), put a quick disconnect and 1/2" natural gas hose (http://www.tejassmokers.com/NatGasHoses.htm) on there, and built a black iron pipe manifold that is mounted on my make-shift stand / steel mechanics cart.

I'm able to run 2 floor burners off that supply line at the same time (HLT + BK) if need be, though rarely happens.

The burner in the previous post is a Banjo by any other company and the only difference is orifice size.

Are there any burners that you do not need to rework to get them to run on natural gas? I am looking for plug and play

Yes, multi-jet burners can be had ready to use with NG. We just did some tests today running a 10 jet on NG with a needle valve. We were surprised to see the jet burner was more adjustable than a Banjo burner with the same valve on propane.

BayouClassicDepot.com sells natural gas jet burners

I recently bought two of these burners for my stands They are the 10 tip jet burners. They aren't exactly plug and play, but are made for natural gas. I have yet to brew with them, but I have run them through a few test boils. They put out a load of heat.

With the Blichmann, you just select the natural gas option when ordering and they will send the orifice and needle valve you need for natural gas. This is about as plug and play as you will find.

Are there any burners that you do not need to rework to get them to run on natural gas? I am looking for plug and play

Just to re-iterate what bobjohnson said, I did not have to do any reworking to get the Blichmann Floor Burner (linked above) to run on natural gas.

Initially, I ran it on propane using the included regulator. Later on, when I was able to invest in the natural gas quick disconnect and hose, I separately purchased the Natural Gas Conversion Kit, http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/natural-gas-conversion-kit-for-blichmann-floor-burner.html, which consists of a needle valve and a different orifice. Supply line connection to needle valve is 3/8" flare, so you may need an adapter (Lowes / HD plumbing section) to step down from 1/2" flare, or whatever your supply line fitting may be.

You can find the burner and the Natural Gas Conversion kit on most of the major homebrew supply websites - do some searching around if it is out of stock.

I'm about to build my own sculpture, and have been researching NG burners to death. How big is the blichman in terms of dimensions? It looks like it's perfect for what I want to do, but I'm going to be limited to 8 gallon kettles (14" diameter) in size based on where I'm going to be able to put the sculpture to connect to the house NG line. Basically, I'm not ever going to brew more than 5 gallon batches. Is this too big for what I want to do?

The dimensions on the BG14/Banjo/Blichmann (all the same burner) is approximately 11.25" across and the mounting points.

This burner is on the large side. You can get away with the 6" burner. We sell a shroud to fit the banjo burner and an adapter for the smaller burners.

P1040753-800x800.JPG

P1040754-800x800.JPG

P1040756-800x800.JPG

Mike M, How much H20 are you boiling at a time and how quick are you doing it? Just wondering how the 10 tip burners stack up to those massive 30-40 tip burners, i know people are plugging holes but more surface area,
Keggerator, how much was the bayou burner?
Thanks

Did you need to buy a needle valve? And if so, what size and where?

I'm looking to purchase this same one if possible.

Thanks!

+1 on the Blichmann; have mine on the deck, hooked up to a gas line originally run for a gas grill. Brewed on it for the first time last Thursday, got up to boiling lickety-split and boiled off 1.5 gallons in an hour without the needle valve even all the way open.

I bought mine from Williams Brewing; much like Northern Brewer, they also sell an NG conversion kit with orifice and needle valve. They're a little more expensive, but their warehouse is like 15 miles from my house, so, even with cheap shipping, it gets there the next day. :rockin:

I'd also second the poster who recommended buying the NG hose online -- took three brick-n'-mortar hardware stores and $50-something to track that part down in person. :(

He title says it all I am looking for natural gas burner as I do not like the idea of using propane. I have a furnace for my garage so I have the gas line right there. I have search but it seems most if not all are for propane. Anyone have any ideas? Also I would like to buy a ready to use unit just hook it up and go.

Thanks

Tom

Just finished building my brew stand for my move to all-grain brewing. I was also looking for NG, as I already plumbed my garage when I installed a furnace last year. I ended up purchasing the ones listed below from Instawares.com. They are 32-tip burners and I ended up closing up half of them in order to get the correct velocity for a nice blue flame. Located them four inches below my converted kegs. Have no problem running both at same time from 2 in line. A little over-kill, but the price was right. They heat water and anything else in no time. I love them.

GSW-WR-JBR32NG GSW-Jet-Burner-1-EA-WR-JBR32NG $37.46 2 $74.92

Back