1 week hopnog 2009

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dapozer

Reaction score
here is a pic of my 1 week in fermentation hopnog 2009. what ya think?

DSC_0051.jpg

LOL! I feel like you've posted a baby picture, and I'm supposed to say, "Awwww, beautiful baby!". But the truth is, some babies are just ugly.

Just kidding- it looks like a beer in primary with some krausen still on top. It looks great!

This thread is worthless without taste testing of finished product. I recommend you save money on shipping though and just get me a flight out to Colorado. :)

Glad to see it as my HopNog in primary is a plastic bucket so I can't see what's going on in there! First brew and looking fwd to drinking it.

Guess we all did the same thing a week a go. I have some Hopnog in my primary. I'm going to start taking readings over the next couple of days and will probably bottle this weekend or next.

i'm gonna let sit for 2 more weeks, bottle wait 3 more, cool and enjoy. well at least thats my plan :)

I bottled this two weeks ago and cracked one open today. When I bottled, I was a bit let down on the flavor so that, and that it's early for the bottles to be ready, I didn't have high hopes. I was really surprised! It has some subtle almost citrusy flavors and a great level of hoppiness. I'm guessing you guys have bottled it by now, have you tried it yet?

Ha, too funny, I'm glad you posted that comment as I just bottled my hopnogg yesterday, took a swig and wasn't impressed! Not that I expected to be, I just expected it to be an IPA sans carbonation. I hope that it will improve significantly after two weeks, sounds like it will based on Vassar's comments.

This is my first brew so not sure what to expect and thinking maybe all the beer from kits may not be that great, but hopefully that is not the case and it turns out great! As long as it's decent I'll tackle another batch of beer, maybe a brewers best belgian triple or english pale ale.

Oh, so on another note, I only got a measly 36 bottles of beer, granted two were 15 oz or so but still. I did stir up the sediment on the last 2,3 inches of beer and didn't want to risk bottling swill so junked that.

:mug:

Bummer on only getting 36 bottles. I actually had to quickly sanitize a few bottles for this one because I had more than I had previously gotten out of a batch. I've learned from these boards to place the fermentor up where you will siphon from at least a couple hours before bottling to let everything settle.

I think kits can come out nicely. I think the two issues you can run into is a kit that's been sitting forever might not have fresh ingredients and some kits force amounts of each ingredient based on how they're packaged rather than what the recipe would normally call for.

If you have a local brew shop though, I would recommend using a recipe since it isn't any harder to do once you've got the ingredients.

Good to hear that it turned out good for ya. I have been bottled for a little over a week and opened a bottle last night just to see progress, all I can think of is I must have bitten right into a hop plant, man I hope they settle down some. If i have to rate it on a 1 to 10 at this point i would have to rate it as a: well at least it's beer, I think :)

Is your beer tasting any better Dapozer? I have about a 1/2 week of bottle conditioning to go on mine. then i'll throw a few in the fridge and see how it is.

Back