how does this recipe sound

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmm beer

Reaction score
I had leftovers so I made this up

3.5 lbs of light lme
2.0 lbs of amber lme
1.1 lbs honey
0.5 lbs of crystal 20l
1 oz hallertau at 60min
.5 oz of northern brewer at 15min
.5 oz of east kent goldings at 15min

I put a black ale into secondary just prior to boiling, so I repitched the english ale yeast and boy was there some blow off this morning. This is my first time gioing off recipe so I hope it comes out decent.:mug:

I personally dont appreciate honey in beer. Adding it to coffee or herbal teas I get a nice taste, but in beer the flavor is not even noticeable and if anything it gives the texture a slightly waxy mouth feel. It also seems unusual that you are adding Hallertau at 60 min (aroma hops) and Northen Brewer at 15 min (flavor hops). I would switch those around and drop the honey. But this is YOUR recipe.

i like the honey brown ales, thats why i added that. as for the hops its just what i had leftover and didnt realize you add different ones at the beginning and some at the end. no matter what im sure it will be fine it just might not be the most enjoyable. as this was not well thought out

Yes that's why i did the block capitals. I wasnt trying to be critical. I was just making my observations. My point is that there are different styles that fall inside the acceptable range. Like the Porter im drinking atm is very good but only because I wanted a porter at the time of brewing.

I didnt think you were being critical. I am looking for suggestions otherwise I wouldnt have posted this thread. The only way to get a better brew is to expiriment and read up and discuss with others. How is that porter coming out. I like porter.:ban:

Back