Ward Report Feedback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatGeekGuy

Reaction score
I've been using RO water without any additional treatment, with OK results and good beer, but it's time to do better. I've seen the sticky with AJ´s quick and easy RO adjustments, but would like to consider using my tap water. I'm starting to input the numbers into Brun Water, but would appreciate any feedback and suggestions:

pH 7.8
TDS 237
Elec Cond 0.40
Cat/An me/L 3.9/4.2

Sodium Na 30 ppm
Potassium K 5 ppm
Calcium Ca 43 ppm
Magnesium Mg 4 ppm
Total Hardness CaCO 3 124 ppm
Nitrate NO 3 -N 0.5 ppm
Sulfate SO 4 -S 18 ppm
Chloride Cl 42 ppm
Carbonate CO 3 6 ppm
Bicarbonate HCO 3 103 ppm
Total Alkalinity CaCO 3 95 ppm
Total Phosphorous P 0.22 ppm
Total Iron Fe <0.01 ppm

Martin,
Thanks for the feedback. Looking at AJ's RA chart on your website, it seems like I'm OK for Ambers and Pale Ales as-is? Which would be good, since those are my go-to styles.... :ban:

Neutralizing the excess alkalinity via acidification will still be needed. Don't rely on that chart to define what beers are more suited for a water. There are still several other factors that need to be evaluated and incorporated into the brewing approach.

Martin,
Are you saying that my alkalinity level would only be acceptable for beers with a high percentage of dark malts, or not at all? As far as lowering the alkalinity, would calculating and adding an amount of acidulated malt to the grist be the easiest way?

No, I read
Total Alkalinity CaCO 3 95 ppm
as 395 (on my iPhone where the print is tiny) and wrote a response based on that which wasn't very relevant since your water has alkakinity of 95 (which is pretty nominal). When my eyes focused properly I tried to delete the post which you can't do from the iPhone app and so I just reduced it to one character which happened to be C. It's gone now.

No, I read
as 395 (on my iPhone where the print is tiny) and wrote a response based on that which wasn't very relevant since your water has alkakinity of 95 (which is pretty nominal). When my eyes focused properly I tried to delete the post which you can't do from the iPhone app and so I just reduced it to one character which happened to be C. It's gone now.

You made me laugh out loud with that response, AJ. Thanks so much for being human. :rockin:

No, I read

So my interpretation was correct, Si? :p

Back