Why does my homebrew give me deadly gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all I am just curious to why possibly my homebrew is giving me deadly gas. Maybe it is my new seafood diet but I am beggining to think it is because of my homebrew. I am still fairly new to this and I suppose what I am asking is there anyway to reduce the toot?

LOL seafood diet is probably your issue.. just my thought ... when i eat a lot of seafood my farts get really bad.

Beano my friend. You may be drinking a fair bit of yeast if you aren't pouring to the shoulder and leaving it in the bottle or cold crashing it out for kegging. Not going to hurt you and is a good source of Vit B but gets some people pretty gassy.

You pouring yeast dregs from the bottom of the glass?

I usually pour all the beer out of my bottles and only leave the gunky goop of yeast in the bottom. I think next time I will be sure to leave some beer in the bottom so I do not drink the slurry yeast again. Vitamin B? More like vitamin gonna B outta my @$$ soon... I regret drinking the bottom. Now I know thanks everyone for your input and help

Think of your lower bowels as another fermenter for the yeast in your beer, and your tookis as an airlock. Lots of delicious sugars and other fermentables for the yeasties. Yeast + fermentables = the brown notes.

Make sure to clean up the skid marks.

TheJasonT said:
Think of your lower bowels as another fermenter for the yeast in your beer, and your tookis as an airlock. Lots of delicious sugars and other fermentables for the yeasties. Yeast + fermentables = the brown notes.

Is there a nomination form for some sort of hall of fame of fantastic HBT posts?

Hahahahaha

"and your tookis as an airlock" I almost sprayed my keyboard!

It's probably the yeast. Do you have a way of cold crashing? You can also use gelatin to help drop more out of suspension. Don't try to get every last drop out of the bottle either, leave the dregs. Watch as you pour and when you see the sediment starting to make it's way up the neck stop pouring. That could help you out for now. Honestly though, your body will adapt in time and you won't have problems anymore. When I first started brewing I would take a Beano before and a Gas-X afterward if I planned on having more than 1. Now I can drink as much as I want and the only result is a bigger belly! As it so happens, a bigger belly is the single biggest argument against kegging. If you have fresh cold beer on tap you WILL drink more of it. :drunk:

Thanks everyboy for your input. Tonight when i poured my brew i left about an inch at the bottom and my tookis stopped being an airlock. So untill next time cheers everyone!!

The yeast from beer should have no effect on gas you produce later. There is no fermentation going on in your belly, the moment the beer enters your belly, the stomach acid kills all of the yeast. Think of StarSan only stronger in your belly. So my vote goes to seafood, which gives me the ****s and gas if I eat too much of it.

My buddy blew his ass off when he first started, and was bottling. Then he switched to kegs and that somehow resolved the incidents occurring around his house. He actually farted and made my buddies dog barf.

It never really bothered me though either way.

HopHeadGrady said:
My buddy blew his ass off when he first started, and was bottling.

It never really bothered me though either way.

So you liked the smell of his farts?

So you liked the smell of his farts?

No ... I would run. I meant I didn't get gas from bottled homebrew when I used to bottle...

And yeah, the dog did appear to barf as a result of the bomb drop.
My buddy was dressed up as Dee Snider and had a huge bone (Stay Hungry Album cover) and a couple of the dogs were following him around all night.... One paid the price... :tank:

Other possibilities:

1. You made a beer with added lactose. You as an adult perhaps are somewhat intolerant to it. Drinking milk would also produce this issue.

2. Same goes for gluten. Although with a gluten intolerance you'd have issues with other gluten foods.

I think the yeast is the likely problem. The beasties living in your gut will get used to the homebrew and it will stop. :)

I'm vegetarian, near vegan, lots of beans, tofu, soy, etc. I fart like a maniac without the homebrew. Add homebrew to a quality evening of hummus and lentil soup, good god. Especially the IPAs. Hop farts big time. Growing up I remember eating cereal in the kitchen hearing my dad fart in the bathroom for longer than I could hold my breath, no joke -- and he wasn't full of beans and beer. So magic farts run in the family plus I have cultivated the perfect diet to extrapolate, nurture, and extend them.

2 words:

Worth it.

Yeah i started my seafood diet which might be part of it, but i might take a week off from it. This might possibly help me get used to my homebrew. Then I can continue my diet because quite frankly I like fish. Smoked salmon anyone? Cheers! and thanks again everyone.

So glad I'm not the only one.
Its getting better.
Sometimes still have an overactive blow-off tube, but no longer making day-old porter out of ingested pale ale.

Back