Gelatin Finings?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtr6188

Reaction score
Has anyone used this to clarify the beer before bottling? Does it actually clear up the beer at all?

From what i've read, it apparently works great. I plan on tryin it in 2 weeks with my latest brew, I guess it's the only way to see how it works with my processes.

ya. i guess so. just wondering people's opinions who have tried it. i just bought some from homebrewers.com because i read it in a old brew book of my dads. Im gonna try it in my next batch as well.

I think the plain knox gelatin you can find at the grocery store is exactly the same stuff, probably much cheaper.

Cool your beer prior to pitching the finings if you can. Also do not boil the gelatin when you make it and expect slightly longer bottle carbonation.

There have been many, many posts about gelatin on HBT. Do a search and you'll get all of your answers.

It works very well if you do it properly. Prepare the gelatin like you would if you were using it in a dessert, then add it to your cold beer.

I rack the beer into a corney keg, heat previously boild water to about 120 F in a santized pot, then stir in gelatine with a sterilized spoon. This is slowly stirred into the corney keg with a sterilized spoon. If that keg is then placed in the freezer at 30F, it will clear in about two days. If you put it on 30 psi pressure at that time, it will be perfectly carbonated too. I use a shortened (1" or so) pick up tube to transfer the beer out of the keg. Minimize any movement of the keg so as not to disturb the sediment.

Cheers!

I find it works better if you put the heated gelatin (regular unflavored Knox) into cold beer.

As stated above, I boil 1 cup of water, let it cool to ~ 100 degrees. Then you sprinkle it on top without mixing and let it stand for 10 minutes. Most of it will fall to the bottom. Heat it in the microwave for 30-45 seconds. Stop at 30 and see if you can get it to run fairly clear using a sanitized spoon to stir. If not, heat it for 5-8 seconds more and try again. As soon as its clear, its ready to add to cold beer. Do not boil the gelatin.

Give it 4-7 days contact with chilled beer and you will be amazed. I swear it seems to reduce some hop aroma, so be semi-wary with dry hopped brews.

Has anyone used this to clarify the beer before bottling? Does it actually clear up the beer at all?

Yep - I have used it a few times. Really clears it up. Prepare it like Nanoman says and you'll have no problem. About two cups water and 1 pack of Knox for 5 gallons works for me. I let mine sit for 15 minutes before adding it, but not longer. I have not cold crashed afterwards - it does the job for me at room temperature in 2 or 3 days.

I use Knox gelatin when I cold crash. It "sinks" the loose hops I use when dry hopping after 3-4 days. I use about 10-12 oz off water and a half package of gelatin---careful not to boil but to let it get hot enough to be gin clean. Let it cool-pour in already chilled carboy (I'm maybe a day into cold crash now) and once it's in I spin the carboy around a bit.

To be honest-I'm drinking a Cal Common I made (and dry hopped half oz Northern Brewer) and I'm thinking about it being TOO hoppy so I don't think the gelatin took too much of the hops away. But it is as clear as any commercial beer you would ever find.

Gelatine works on proteins and yeast. I don't think recall that it affects dissolved iso-alpha acids. Don't you could pull bitterness out using it (or any other post kettle fining agent). You would have to brew a less hoppy batch and blend.

Cheers!

NanoMan

Back