Canvolution! NPR on Mobil beer canning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The real break-though here is labeling the cans during the process. When 21st Amendment got into canning, they had to order hundreds of thousands of pre-labelled cans at once, because the only companies canning back then were the macro-breweries. I've been seeing more and more local beers in cans. Just yesterday, I saw HUB (Hopworks Urban Brewery) beers in cans at Trader Joe's.

What an awesome business model. Most of the small breweries I visit, the brewers loathe packaging their products in anything but kegs.

It's called kegging. :D

Stay thirsty my friend......

Ha, ha... Seriously though, how cool would it be to be able to take a CAN of your homebrew, throw it in your backpack, and take it one a hike, then be able to crush it down, put it in a bag, and off you go again...

I don't like the way regular cans pour. Aluminum bottles would be nice.

Perhaps you need to get a "punch top can" (Miller Lite innovates again! First it's triple hops <gasp>, then the vortex bottle, and now this? What would the beer world do without this ground breaking research and development!) ;)

But yes, aluminum bottles would be cool too. I spent a few years in Pittsburgh, and occasionally used to drink Iron City in aluminum bottles. In the past, I've scoured the internet trying to find a source for them, but never did find anywhere you could buy them...

Ha, ha... Seriously though, how cool would it be to be able to take a CAN of your homebrew, throw it in your backpack, and take it one a hike, then be able to crush it down, put it in a bag, and off you go again...

Perhaps you need to get a "punch top can" (Miller Lite innovates again! First it's triple hops <gasp>, then the vortex bottle, and now this? What would the beer world do without this ground breaking research and development!) ;)

But yes, aluminum bottles would be cool too. I spent a few years in Pittsburgh, and occasionally used to drink Iron City in aluminum bottles. In the past, I've scoured the internet trying to find a source for them, but never did find anywhere you could buy them...

Ever try Plastic ones??? I see'em but never use'em

"I don't like the way regular cans pour. Aluminum bottles would be nice."

Why is it they don't sell aluminum bottles? Don't they cap just like glass bottles? I would be interested in that.

"I don't like the way regular cans pour. Aluminum bottles would be nice."

Why is it they don't sell aluminum bottles? Don't they cap just like glass bottles? I would be interested in that.

Aluminum bottles would be great, light proof, lightweight, unbreakable, no fear of bottle bombs, re-usable, I'd definitely go for that!:rockin:

Not a fan of cans because of the liner material. I prefer my beer BPA-free.

I think we are close to affordable packaging solutions, that video that david 42 posted is great. With online connectivity, a Mobil canning operation could connect with home brewers via email, twitter, or facebook that they will be in your area, be ready for your batch size, have pre- downloaded labels, and make it cost effective for us, and profitable for them.

Yeah, that also could be a viable business option... You thinking of opening a BOP in the 'Burgh?

:off:
Yea - there's already a great craft beer bar that does a traditional BOP business - I'm looking to do something more homebrewer focused rather then compete directly. Otherwise they won't let me come back!

Right now we're running financials and messing around with equipment (testing out pumps, plate chillers, finding suppliers, etc.). I'm trying to structure it as close to a real home brewing experience as possible while attacking some of the time killers (heating water, cleaning, etc.). Might also be great for a club brew-in if the sizing is right. Goal is to be priced where brewing at the store could be a regular thing.

Back to topic:
I was originally thinking of doing some form of bottle washing/recycling as a service, but the canning thing would be very cool (assuming PA would allow it). I reached out to the goose island folks via email to see what the cleaning times were. That big rig could can a 10g batch inside 2 minutes! Almost worth it if local micros are also interested, and the cleaning time isn't prohibitive (2 minutes of canning is worthless if cleaning is 60 min).

Back